***Painting a bathroom ceiling***

standard, Mar 10, 1:39am
Is it ok to use ceiling paint in a bathroom or is a semi gloss better ?
Thanks for any help

harrislucinda, Mar 10, 3:30am
think semi gloss as is,nt ceiling paint matt
you need semi for steam they are my thoughts

mm12345, Mar 10, 4:51am
If you want a flat finish, use "eggshell" flat water-based enamel (over suitable primer / sealer system). Eggshell finish is only available in some brands of water-based enamel (Dulux is one IIRC) so you may need to shop around.

ebygum1, Mar 10, 4:58am
Only use ceiling paint if you are selling the property in the next month. Otherwise use a low sheen wall paint or similar. It is much easier to clean.

reb53, Mar 10, 5:03am
Assuming there's a steamy shower in there then use an anti mould paint.
Think the one we used was "Zinzer", ( or something like that), and it has worked really well over the years, ceiling is still nice and white with no signs of the mould that used to need regular cleaning.

pskpinks, Mar 10, 8:32am
Use Resene Space Coat low sheen Kitchen and Bathroom formula water based enamel. Magic!

lythande1, Mar 10, 5:56pm
I used Zinsser anti-mould semi-gloss.
Matt paint is really hard to clean - gloss or semi-gloss, just a damp cloth and fly poo etc just wipes off with no effort.

yorkie13, Mar 10, 7:23pm
do it once. sand it. pigment seal it. sand it. enamel undercoat. sand it. topcoat with enamel semi-gloss. 35 yr tradie.

yorkie13, Mar 10, 7:24pm
water based paint or wallpaper shouldn't be anywhere near a wet area.

standard, Mar 11, 7:24am
Thanks, will keep thinking about it.

bexter2, Mar 11, 7:47am
But of course you would know that you can only seal a bare surface.

yorkie13, Mar 11, 8:41am
If you sand any surface good enough, you can seal it. If you don't ,you risk flaking later.

mm12345, Apr 18, 8:52pm
Was true a decade or so ago - but waterbased enamels can be used.

For a flat finish, Dulux "eggshell" w/b enamel is great. Very low sheen, but feels smooth to touch and cleans easily. If going over old paint in a wet area, after prep I'd seal it with a Zinzer oil-based sealer first.