HELP GARDENING CLUB SPEAKERS.

Page 2 / 2
piquant, Dec 9, 1:13am
I do our local farmers market. Same applies. So many people are cost restrained that they look for the cheapest option. The truth about that, though, is they often have the highest concentrates of chemical preservatives in them. Just one example. Many years ago I was given a loaf of bread. Not just any bread, a special loaf that had been "discovered" at a chinese bakery in Auckland and brought all the way back to the wairarapa so I could have some. It was "yummy" I was informed. Apart from the fact it was coloured pink - it held no such fascination with my palate at all. It sat in my pantry for ages, wondering what I could do with it and not to offend my friend for her kindness. In fact it sat there for so long, I became fascinated with actually how long it would take to become mouldy. I left it there for months in the end - and still it didn't turn mouldy.! HHMMM, thought I - I wonder just how much preservative had gone into that bread and I still often ponder if I had kept it - whether or not it would ever have gone off! Grow it and make it and cook it yourself is my motto. Then you know exactly what is going in your mouth.

dottyone1, Dec 9, 4:00am
That s right and the only people who do, are a bit fanatical or obsessive. Lord only knows what lg corporations like Mcdonalds etc are putting in our food. Have you read the dark side of Mcdonalds ?

paora-tm, Dec 9, 6:08am
You might find what you are looking for in this useful facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzvege/

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 9, 8:13am
On the other hand this year I am growing several different forms and colours of exotic vegies, and even tomatilloes for the first time.There is a strong environmental movement that argues we attempt to keep out the exotics at our peril, not only risking limiting natural selection in doing its work as our climate and environment changes, but also devoting resources to a battle we cannot win. James Lovelock style ideas - worth thinking about. We've benefited enormously from imported exotics and careful genetic manipulation.

dottyone1, Jul 10, 8:46am
I have found Asian vegetables great for our tiny garden.

they also grow quickly