Gardening questions

rainrain1, Oct 27, 9:51pm
The name of this daisy
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/421311735.jpg
and
I have sawn halfway through a rhododendron by mistake, approx. a 3 inch main branch. Is there any way of trying to 'heal it'?
Thankyou

rainrain1, Oct 27, 10:01pm
I might have to haha

nitpnz, Oct 27, 10:10pm
I think the plant is a saxifraga, now can you post a close-up photo of the sawn part of your victim, plus tell us how long since it happened.

samanya, Oct 27, 10:12pm
The daisy looks like one of the Federation daisies.
I've given some of my straggly rhodies a severe haircut on purpose ;o)
They will come back but it takes a while

rainrain1, Oct 27, 10:18pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/421318003.jpg
Clever aren't I?
Happened yesterday afternoon
It's a main stem down low near the ground

rainrain1, Oct 27, 10:21pm
This is no haircut samanya. it's attempted murder
Yes, a Ferderation Daisy, thanks for that

nitpnz, Oct 27, 10:36pm
I think there Is hope for it hang on, I'll be back soon

samanya, Oct 27, 11:10pm
Oh shite!
Who let you loose with the saw!
Don't Round Up the stump just yet & see if it puts up new growth (or you could rush off & buy a new one & hope no one notices)

nitpnz, Oct 28, 12:03am
Oops, it looks like a big tree.
Short of using the solution offered in message #9 (or calling a tree doctor) and if the tree was smaller I might put guy ropes at all angles to try to prevent wind movement of the victim, then I'd maybe get some silver Duct tape and apply a bandage tightly from the ground to about 15cm above the wound, in several layers.

Then I may perhaps sit back and hope that the wind doesn't blow this tree over causing more damage to your own or neighbouring property!

The decision is yours, sometimes it's best to bite the bullet and call an accident a learning experience.

rainrain1, Oct 28, 2:27am
Thanks much, I'll try the duct tape, and leave it to see what happens
Too pretty to chop right out just now as it's flowering madly

tui93, Oct 28, 4:42am
It might be OK as the cut hasn't gone all the way round the trunk ie the cambrian layer - under the bark ( is that the right term) can still carry nutrients to the plant. Maybe as suggested just bind the trunk with a suitable tape to seal the cut.

samanya, Oct 28, 5:39am
Use your first aid knowledge, luv!
Hope it survives.

beebb3, Oct 29, 9:52am
No its not a federation daisy. I have it in my garden, very pretty, low growing, spreading. Just can't remember the name at present - heliotrope? Will post if I remember lol.

beebb3, Aug 16, 4:49pm
Pretty sure its a chrysanthemum of some sort, name still eludes me! Not the smelly type of chrysanths. Have tried Dougal Google, but hes not helping me!
I do remember it did have a cute wee name to match the plant.