Painting ceiling

christin, Jan 1, 3:05am
Hi. Looking at painting a small spare room. Does the ceiling paint have to be ceiling paint?

I have a big tin of resenes enamacrl. Can I use that? Or should I go buy specific ceiling paint? Thanjs

mx-kid135, Jan 1, 3:50am
ceiling paint is cheap and its terrible to clean, so use some better paint, ask at resenes.

iluvmuse, Jan 1, 3:54am
enamacryl is full gloss and will show up any flaws, so not a conventional ceiling paint apart from wet areas, but no problem otherwise

christin, Jan 1, 3:57am
The ones i have isn't full gloss. Not shiny at all. I think low sheen from memory.

christin, Jan 1, 3:59am
Was just trying to use what I have going spare rather than buying more and this not being used.

Thanks

iluvmuse, Jan 1, 4:06am
it won't be enamacryl then :P

christin, Jan 1, 5:18am
Oops. I know what I have is low sheen. I thought their water based enamel camel no all sheens liked dulux's aquanamel. I guess I don't water based enamel then!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 1, 5:35am
The answer to your question is no.

christin, Jan 1, 6:27am
Which question lol. The can i use the paint I hav? Or does it have to be specific ceiling paint?

payntr, Jan 1, 9:21am
go and get resene spacecoat low sheen if you want a washable surface.go to www.resene.co.nz and check it out.

gedc, Jan 1, 10:52am
Ceiling can be most paints you like. The flatter the paint the less likely you will see imperfections, taped joins etc etc. For the dulux range ( which I use) flat is better than matt for hiding imperfections. The glossier the finish, the more likely you will see these imperfections, especially with light that shines 'across' the ceiling e.g from a set of large slider doors etc. The downside of flat paint is you can clean it but you leave a shiny mark whereas more gloss based paints will accept a cleaning without changing their reflectiveness etc

christin, Jan 1, 6:33pm
Thanks.

I have spacecote low sheen. Checked it between the rain!

spiritofgonzo, Jan 1, 6:47pm
doesn't have to be ceiling paint

kiwitel, Jan 1, 7:47pm
We just used the same paint for the walls and the ceiling. Undercoat then top coat.

toymit, Jan 2, 2:52am
If I were you I would use up the one you got.

groovie1, Jan 2, 3:16am
Couldn't be bothered with ceiling paint, its all flat and a darn curse to clean. I used up the semi gloss that I had left over from another job. Quick swipe with a damp cloth and its clean.

blueviking, Jan 2, 7:58pm
How often do you guys have to clean your ceilings? and why?

macandrosie, Jan 2, 10:53pm
Ceiling paints tend to always be a flat paint. I guess they don' leave any lines after being painted because they are flat, but like you say are hard to clean. I thought I'd be smart & roll paint our kitchen ceiling with a semi gloss which is definitely easier to wipe down but I did notice in certain light you can see the roll marks which is a little annoying.Is Enamacrl water based or oil based? Would be much easier to apply if water based. I can't see anything wrong with using any interior paint.

christin, Jan 3, 8:53am
Thanks everyone. Will use what I have. It's a spare room, that pretty much only gets used for storage. Just want to freshen up a bit.

Now just got to get the enthusiasm for painting! Hate doing it so tend to find other more interesting things to do! Esp doing it on my own ifmy friend was still living here I'd do it as more fun and easier with two (esp as he was six foot for male, I'm a 5 foot 4 girl lol) - he wouldn't be constantly up and down ladder, esp with high ceilings!

(I'll be glad when it's done tho)

pskpinks, Jan 4, 8:42am
Spacecoat Low Sheen can be used for a ceiling - or walls - or in some cases woodwork. It is scrubbable - so it is tough. It does have a sheen [like satin] but may not appear to have until it is seen from a 45degree angle. I use it for kitchen, bathroom and laundry ceilings and in the darling mans' workroom. I haven't used it in a bedroom but some people have

groovie1, Jun 21, 1:45pm
Not a qualified painter but having done a bit of rolling myself I think that means you got a little too sparse with the paint at that point. My guess is you're probably the only who notices it too.