Ants in my car

hel007, Aug 17, 5:39pm
I need help. I have ants in the car and they keep coming back. I haven't had this problem before. What is the best way to banish them for good? Thanks

koru67, Aug 17, 7:11pm
We ended up putting one of the ant bait stations that have the gel already in them in the console, and we have left it there. The ants were after/in the tin of peppermints.

cantabman1, Aug 17, 7:25pm
That Datura is a very powerful drug.

2sheddies, Aug 17, 7:42pm
I had this. someone prior to my ownership must have been eating or drinking in there and spilled it. After weeks of trying to get rid of the buggers, I ended up pulling all the centre console apart, which is where it seemed they were coming from, and gave all the removed plastic bits a good wash in warm soapy water, getting rid of all the food crumbs and gunk (poor wee antsy's dinner :-P) and bits that couldn't be removed from the vehicle and washed, I wiped very carefully with the cloth, being extremely mindful of any electrical connections etc, and dried everything thouroughly. Then followed it up with a serious vacuum, getting into all the nooks and crannies before reassembling. Cleaned a lot of crud out. Then afterward, if there were any stubborn stragglers, I eliminated them as soon as I saw them. Took a bit of effort but it got rid of em eventually. So if you can find where they're coming from or the spot they're most busy, it might be worth a go.

I had thought of using ant poison, but decided it wasn't really practical in a car as you have to leave it for several days and it would spill everywhere.

retrogold, Aug 17, 7:55pm
Just buy one of those raid bug bomb cans from the supermarket and let it off in the garage with the car doors and bonnett open, this will kill ants in the vicinity and you won't see them again. Make sure the cars not going at the time :)

darkwind, Oct 23, 6:50am
If you need something less poisonous - 50/50 baking soda icing sugar is useful for dealing to them as well. they cant tell the difference and the baking soda reacts in their gut to kill em. Its a long battle though whichever you use and must be dedicated to your cause