Shower rose. Is this a quality product? Water dama

bit, Jan 24, 3:03am
Hi. I've got rotted chip board floor in my bathroom. The leak would occur only when the shower was on. I'm not positive that it was the rose or if water was getting in between the wall lining and bath tub. But water would leak out between the back of the rose backing plate and wall as illustrated by the drip in this pic http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/359565318.jpg
I don't know how much water may have been leaking down the inside of the wall.
A saleswoman at my local plumbing shop asked me how old it was. I said maybe 6 years. She said o-rings or filters in the mixer may need replacing.

I want to get this fixed properly so that it never happens again.
Is this a quality unit and should it need regular maintenance?

aredwood, Jan 24, 3:35am
It will be a split in the shower rose, Split in the mixer body or failed / missing O ring. Usual cause is people overtightening the shower roses into the body. Yes they are a good unit. Just get it repaired.

carter19, Jan 24, 4:57am
Yes this shower mixer is fine, provided it is installed correctly. The problem could also be water splashing up under the walls of the shower. incorrectly installed shower walls are a common problem, more so than faulty mixers or badly installed mixers. Another problem could be that the builder put a nail thru a pipe when the bathroom was done. Until the nails rusts right thru, this goes unnoticed for 5 years or longer depending upon the size of the nail.

bit, Jan 24, 5:12am
OK thanks. Should the o rings or other parts have to be replaced periodically? I want to rent out my house and live over seas long term. I can't afford to have this kind of catastrophy happening.

budgel, Jan 24, 8:57pm
Definitely! at least every fifteen years!

hammer23, Jan 24, 9:29pm
Sounds to me like the shower mixer is the least of your problems. You say you have a rotted chip bd [weetbix] floor and that should be your starting place which has to be sorted before you go oversea's.
Your insurance company may accept a claim so your first action should be a qualified builders report which may lead to ripping the shower floor out etc etc. I've seen a few of these over the years and they are not a pretty sight.The fact you have let the leak continue may not go in your favour. Hope it works out for you.

imagine4, Jan 24, 11:19pm
I would get a plumber in to have a look. or a builder. you may have major damage in the wall lining. . and I mean major. with the wall lining and the floor.

bit, Aug 15, 9:37pm
Yeah I've had a plumber out and got my insurance money already.