Groundcover plants - crazy prices!

rats123, Oct 1, 2:34am
I'm shocked to see how much ground cover plants cost. We need to plant an area around 300 square metres. Given each plant is between 5 and 10 dollars, and covers 1 square metre, I could easily be looking at 1500 and 3000 dollars! Crazy! :-(

maclad, Oct 1, 3:48am
depending on whether or not you use shrubs or perennials, you could do it cheaper by using perennials such as Arctotis, gazannia and many, many more. These perennials grow fast and are easy to split and take new plants off and many will cover much more than a square metre. Just do it constantly and regularly and you will get cover cheaply and fast. Try advertising on freecycle or similar and see what you turn up. Good luck.

rita197, Oct 1, 4:56am
Look up Propagators anywhere in the country. They sell 'grow on' which are small plants often around $1.50 each and delivery isn't expensive . This is the way to save money if you are planting a large area.

mlarkin, Oct 1, 7:32am
I see you are in Auckland - have you ever been to Roger's nursery in Tidal Road Mangere. A lot of the landscape gardeners use him and I'm sure his prices would be more reasonable than wot you are quoting. Two things if you do decide to go there - he has no credit card facilities but will take personal cheques and it is best to go in the morning before it gets busy, particularly at weekends. Also he is very knowledgeable and although his nursery is rather a muddle, he knows exactly wot he has and where it it. Capricorngirl

dibble35, Oct 2, 12:58am
Look at other types of groundcover that cover a bigger area than 1m2. Eg Pratia angulata - just keeps going and going. Coprosma poor knights - approx 2-3m2, coprosma kirkii and C. goldstream. - approx 2m2 . Yes try elsewhere for your plants, even try some of the markets. Years and years since ive been but the Avondale markets used to sell plants, someone may know of a good one. If you get stuck you could always come see me where I work in Whangarei, most groundcovers around $4-$5 and we have a sale on the next 2 weekends. LOL I'll leave it at that unless you are seriously interested

artemis, Oct 2, 3:52am
Church and school fairs often have really cheap plants, esp towards the end.

rats123, Oct 2, 8:07am
Thanks for your post. I have found some reasonably priced pratia angulata which I'll be investing in. Just hope the darn thing grows like it should!

survivalkiwi, Oct 2, 8:17am
Why dont you set up a business and go into competition with them?
If you believe what you are saying you would make a fortune.

obus, Sep 12, 6:51am
i can send you seeds or runners from plants in our extensive garden that we are pulling out as they cover too much area! let me know and i can set up a $1 auction if you pay courier for the box of plants and are prepared to put them into the ground as soon as you get them! helen