Painting around Powerlines question

nanske, Dec 2, 3:50am
Hi, I??

gabbysnana, Dec 2, 4:44am
contact my electricity company or kill myself

jhan, Dec 2, 4:47am
Well, the painter who did ours didn't turn off the power or get the power company to do it. But I would.

tiles, Dec 2, 4:54am
fascia board

daryl14, Dec 2, 5:19am
ASK the lines company if it is safe to paint around or even touch the cable. If the line is very old how much do you want to trust the insulation around the wire! If it is not safe they will tell you and organise to pull the pole fuse for you.

h.e, Dec 2, 6:06am
i rang our power provider,they came and wrapped the lines free of charge. That was 10 yrs ago

t_naki, Dec 2, 6:18am
The lines to your house are very seldom uninsulated, so as long as they have insulation on them you will be find to paint round them. You should be able to tell if they are uninsulated by just looking the lines, if it is a single cable then you are fine and if it is several single conductors then you may have to look closer to see if it looks like bare metal of plastic covered, if it is bare metal then don't go near it otherwise as long as you are careful you should be ok.

Bottom line is don't get closer than you have to.

nanske, Dec 2, 7:27am
Thanks guys :)
t_naki, I just had a look and there??

webworth, Dec 2, 12:18pm
It's not worth the risk.I was in a similar situation a few years ago and phoned Vectra (I think it was), specified the time and they came, disconnected and returned later to reconnect, all without charge.Start early on a fine day so that you have time to get first coat dry and second coat on while disconnected.

t_naki, Dec 2, 5:21pm
Yeah, just to be on the safe side I wouldn't touch it. If you contact your local lines company authorised contractor they will drop the power and reinstate it for a small fee.

mrfxit, Nov 29, 3:46pm
Yep get it disconnected.
Some charge, some don't & some will allow you 15/30 minutes without charge.
Prep up to within 500mm either side of the cables so that you end up with ONE meter total to prep & paint.
Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need to finish that part & Get the power disconnected & get on with it.