Show me your pizza ovens? anyone?

Page 2 / 6
purplegoanna, Dec 4, 9:30pm
lol ive asked him too and hes neva answered, sadly i think hes using it as some sort of gossip gimmick to get sales! i prefer to have my products stand up to scrutiny than make up fibs to get sales myself.

howgoodisit, Dec 5, 12:45am
I finally got an answer. here is what i posted on the 2 unanswered questions:
Here i will highlight a few areas for you."This product contains crystalline silica which is considered a hazard by inhalation."
http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/crystallinefactsheet.pdf
"Acute silicosis occurs after a few months or as long as 2 years following exposures to extremely high concentrations of respirable crystalline silica." "Other exposures to silica dust occur in cement and brick manufacturing" There is no way that fire bricks in a pizza oven will produce.
enough dust to be inhaled to make them dangerous for your health. Glass bottles are made of silica too, you are basically saying that drinking beer from a bottle can be carcinogenic. "Inhalation: Long term overexposure to respirable crystalline silica dust may cause permanent and irreversible lung damage including silicosis." Please note is says that silica dust in large amounts is bad, not fumes.

purplegoanna, Dec 5, 1:27am
ah ha well done sherlock, still, mindyu if one was to use a mask when cutting the bricks then you would nearly eliminate the chance of silicosis, ive got more chance of being run over by a bus than dying of that. I see one of the best ways to reduce the chances of 'potters/quarrymans rot' is to wet your bricks, which answers itself really as most pizza oven bricks are cut with a wet brick saw anywayz.it also includes brick fireplaces, bathroom grout, etc the list goes on.i certainly cant find any legal/court cases re: pizza ovens only coal miners, sand blasters, etc

howgoodisit, Dec 5, 8:46am
Yea, the main reason to use a wet saw to cut bricks is to reduce ware on the diamond blade along with reducing dust, certainly does not eliminate dust.
When water runs out on my saw after a little while the firebricks will not even cut. actually need water to cut them.
I use a dust mask when using any tools that create any dust. everything has some sort of nasties in it these days, i try to save my lungs for my smoking habit : P

This guys clam is pretty outrageous, im gonna ask him to remove it as people who read it might believe him and spread this misinformation to others.

purplegoanna, Dec 10, 8:58am
wots your thoughts on a black sand final layer of some sort, id like to use black west coast sand! but what could i mix it with to keep that colour! im thinking it could look quite classy! tomorrow rain, hail or shine im doing a layer of vermiculite (today i finally learnt how to pronounce the damn word!lol) then hopefully the tinfoil (if i can make it down to ullrich aluminium tomorrow for their special industrial strength tinfoil)

m99, Dec 11, 1:27pm
Hi ther long time lurker first time poster. My oven is all finished just need to insulate the top. whats the thoughts on Kaowool ceramic blanket. any advice or experiance welcome. cheers

purplegoanna, Dec 11, 9:50pm
perfect quite possibly the same brand im getting as mine will be able to tell you on tuesday whats yours worth per roll! (mines $92 inclu gst), please dont lurk, show us some pics! i was supposed to be putting on my blanket this weekend BUT the guy didnt have any in stock.(uncanny cause i rang him TWICE during the week to make sure he had it) hes just lucky i cant get the tinfoil till mon morning.

fogs, Dec 12, 6:59am
Auckland councils regulations state."Outdoor cooking and heating
Outdoor fires for heating or cooking like hangis or brazier fires are allowed, but must be in conditions where any smoke, ash or other discharge to air is not a nuisance to neighbours or noxious. These fires can generally be burned without further permission with the exception of hangis and umus on Waiheke or Great Barrier islands. You will need a permit in these areas, these are issued free of charge"
http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council/services/fires/default.asp#cooking

howgoodisit, Dec 13, 5:04am
Hey black sand is a good idea. is it iron sand! or is it just black!
Use a black iron oxide in your mix to make the colour stay dark. just google it, there are a few places that sell it in NZ.

How are you doing the vermiculite layer! making vermacrete (vermiculite concrete)!
i wouldn't recommend doing it in the rain. holds like 16x its own weight in water.

purplegoanna, Dec 13, 8:01pm
its ok ive built a huge wooden frame that fits over the top thats covered inplastic so it keeps the weather off when im not doing anything on it, ive also chucked a tarp over it for xtra protection since the heavens opened bug time yesterday!, the vermiculite was a strange process, i found it easy to mix in smaller amounts & to use my hand to flip the mix in the bucket as i was scooping it out, i found the cement particles washed off the vermiculite & fell to the bottom of the bucket, i slapped it on really hard & got a good solid layer thats stuck really well, while it was wet i also rubbed it (if you rub it hard enough with wet gloves you can get it to go smooth like pottery clay)and now its all nice and smooth, im quite impressed with my handy work since ive read page after page of people whove had trouble applying it, the trick is to really slap it hard so it moulds like clay. It can be done.

purplegoanna, Dec 13, 8:03pm
love the pool! im doing my oven on a macrocarpa sleeper table eventually, ill have too so we can move it with the forkhoist! lol if & when we move.

purplegoanna, Dec 13, 8:07pm
the black snad thing is been a bit of a mystery, im trying to find out if our west coast sand is placer or volcanic!http://en.wikipedia.o-
rg/wiki/Black_sand once ive realy got that confirmed 100% then i can move on with my finish.was hoping to get this done and dusted for xmas eve but with this weather its just not going to happen damn it! collect my ceramic roll this arvo.

howgoodisit, Dec 14, 9:32am
Dont mean to spoil your party but you have done it wrong. you are supposed to keep the vermiculite mix dry as possible but just damp enough to get the cement to get wet and work.
Slapping and pressing it down is a no no, you are supposed to keep it as light and fluffy as possible, pressing it down will defeat the purpose of the product.
You need to mix it as quick as possible, i do i full mixer worth in 20-30 seconds, any longer and it will start to compact, too much water and it will start to compact.

Also why have you done your vermiculite layer before your crematic blanket! i would have done it the other way around.

purplegoanna, Dec 14, 8:44pm
i was following another pic and advice on what someone else had done (double checked with my oracle of pizza oven info this mroning and hell said itll be fine, theres many ways to apply it), on forum bravo they said to slap it hard so it sticks together (so i slappled real hard! lol), and to make it like oatmeal which id done in a 6-1 mix, my layers will be brick, vermiculite, foil, blanket, wire, maybe another vermiculite and then the final layer, depends how much room ive got as ive only got another 2inchs of space left to go sideways.theres so many different ways to layer them i ended up following one of here roughly. Would be nice if the weather would behave so i could finish it but looks like the weather gods have diff ideas.as long as it clears for our new year camping holiday ill be happy.

howgoodisit, Dec 14, 10:29pm
Sometimes i like the rain. lets me focus on my internet indoor projects. just finished one:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-insulated-wood-fired-oven-door/

With vermiculite on the net there are so many conflicting methods of mixing and application.
I personally have mixed a few pallet loads worth now and have found the method that works the best for me, which is dry mixing then adding water and mixing super fast in the mixer using a folding motion at the same time to pull the dry mix to the front of the mixer for no longer than 30 seconds.
You can tell what the best method is by the volume you are left with and the amount of cement balls that have clumped.
Correct amount of water is a biggie too, if i put just 1ltr too much i can reduce volume by 25%.
Volume is where the products features are, this is where the air is that creates the insulation.

For your layers i personally would have gone, Brick, very thin render maybe chicken wire too, crematic blanket, vermicrete, chicken wire final render coats.

Especially with your compacted vermiculite layer before the crematic blanket it is going to take longer to heat your oven that it would have if you had put your blanket on first.

howgoodisit, Dec 14, 10:36pm
Cool my oven door instructable just got featured on the site : )

purplegoanna, Jul 20, 3:05am
wondering if anyones got any pizza oven pics of ones theyve made at home< inlaws getting to houses removed and im scoring the bricks from both firplaces and chimneys.now just need some inspiration.like to see what other kiwis have down.

shimmygirl, Jul 20, 4:16am
Just wanted to mention.we have built a roof over ours as the top layer doesn't have any cement in it and it would break down in the rain.anyone else could add the cement and make it more weather tight.
You may also have noticed we have no flue/chimney.it works well for us and helps keep the heat up.The have a funnel shaped bit of roof above the oven to draw the smoke away.
We are planning to add to this area this summer and build a wood burning BBQ next to it and some seating (hubby is a plasterer) all made from the mud/grit/sawdust (might forgo the cow shit).

antoniab, Jul 20, 5:04am
Awesome stuff shimmygirl - cant wait to own a property to build our own :)

shimmygirl, Jul 20, 6:18am
I'll tell ya.it's the ultimate in slow food.
We found it cooks better the longer it's pre-heated.so we get it heating up about 3-4 hours before we want to cook on it.
All the better for the caveman husband to fire gaze!

purplegoanna, Jul 21, 2:15am
nope glad for the novel has given me abit of inspiration.along with a thousand pics ive saved from google! lol

antoniab, Jul 21, 4:26am
Do you have a cover/roof over yours (cant really see from the pic) Ive read quite a bit that if they dont it can take 3-4 hours to be ready to cook in. If you do however it can be ready to cook in, in as little as 20-30mins. Something about it retaining moisture which it has to dry out first before heating up - if no cover. Good article in the Lifestyle magazine on them.

4abargin, Jul 21, 9:15am
have just started ours, will take a few months to build

4abargin, Jul 23, 2:30am

4abargin, Jul 23, 11:14pm
Sorry nothing new today, to bloody cold to be out there laying bricks, and have other plans next weekend so will be a few weeks before anymore is done