Replacing Wall Oven - what to buy?

Page 1 / 2
extrayda, Oct 19, 2:27am
Hi,
We have a Simpson wall oven, quite old and tired, and the door hinges / frame area has had it, so the door doesn't close properly (big gap).
It is ~47cm wide x 38cm tall x 42cm deep (Internal usable dimensions).
External seems to be standard 60 cm wide.
We need another wall oven that fits in the same space, so nothing externally bigger.
Have had a look at a few options in Harvey Norman / Noel Leemings.
We don't want to spend too much if possible, but don't want to buy junk either. Self cleaning would be nice but probably not a must - depends on price.
In the $1900 - $2000 range the Westinghouse one looked ok, and had good internal dimensions (we would like something with same / better internal dimensions than what we have). F&P was a bit more pricey - I don't know if the ovens are better than their low/mid range dishwashers, which seem to be quite crappy.
We don't need lots of fancy features, just single oven, bake/fan bake/grill/timer etc. don't need auto programme and all of the clever (and more likely to break) stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Really don't want to buy something that looks ok, but turns out to be poor quality / give problems.

Thanks

johotech, Oct 19, 2:59am
New ovens will be 595mm wide and 595mm high on the face. They need roughly a 560mm wide and 565mm high hole to go into. So you need to measure the size of the hole (or at least the face size), not the internal size of the oven.

vomo2, Oct 19, 3:12am
We have just bought an English Belling wall oven from Harvey Normans. $670:00

tintop, Oct 19, 3:12am
We bought a Westinghouse on the basis of the Consumer.org recommendation. It had a better heat distribution and cooked batches of scones better than the others.

Only drawback is the marking for the knobs are a bit hard to read - but we soon learnt the settings.

vomo2, Oct 19, 3:12am
Plus came with 6 year all covered guarantee

macman26, Oct 19, 3:43am
Or get the hinges and door seal replaced on yours. It isn't too hard to do. Have you pulled it out a bit to check the dimensions of the opening? You May find a bit of carpentry work could be required. Also check the depth of the opening and compare it to what the manufacturers require for their oven. Some cavities aren't deep enough for some ovens.

extrayda, Oct 19, 3:51am
Looked at getting the hinges replaced, but the body of the oven is also bent. It's pretty flimsy. (we did have someone out to look at it).

extrayda, Oct 19, 3:52am
Yes, I did, the external size is ~600x600. Measured the inside as the volume varies between 65-75+ litres inside, and we need a couple of glass dishes to fit side by side.

Thanks for all suggestions so far!

molly37, Oct 19, 5:44am
Kitchen is nearly 2 years old. Shame the Whirlpool Wall oven never lasted that long. It was Rubbish. Still under warranty i swapped it for a Bosch.
It not only looks good, have great features, eco cleaning etc. Love it.

buzz123, Oct 19, 6:29am
in our last house we had a Simpson wall oven & replaced with a Westinghouse - only thing we hadnt considered was checking that the new oven fitted into existing joinery around it. I see youve noted that anyway, but just watch out, as we needed a joinerer to come & re size the cupboard above the oven space wgeb we found that the new oven was slightly smaller in dimension than we thought

nzjay, Oct 19, 7:07am
I'm looking too. Bosch seems to have the best reputation if you google for forum feedback about faults.
Harvey Norman have recommended Blanco to me but their feedback is very poor, especially in Australia.

easygoer, Oct 19, 8:40am
Have a look at the Beko, they are out of Europe, I got mine from Kitchen Things.A lot of wall ovens are smaller inside than a standard stand alone range but the Beko takes full width racks, mine has a triple glazed door and roll out rack and roasting pan runners, a very good oven http://www.productreview.com.au/p/beko-oim-25501-x.html

wendalls, Oct 19, 9:29pm
Bosch has very expensive parts when they fail if you are thinking long term. Replacing door hinges cost me over$200 this month. A new element nearly $600 when we moved in 3 years ago. Otherwise it cooks well! Oven probably 9 years old now.

vomo2, Oct 20, 3:53am
The Belling we bought from Harvey Norman has excellent reviews on google.

marte, Oct 20, 11:35am
You will get one for second hand a lot cheaper.

I found one on a scrapheap and looked in it and I think its only been used twice.
Then that night see the same model advertised on TV, weirdish name, St Germaine or something.

Found another one a few weeks ago, used twice by the look of it, the manuals fried to a crisp in the bottom of the oven.

kaddiew, Oct 20, 7:41pm
Stay away from Classique brand. I inherited 2 of them in 2 homes I previously owned, and they are just rubbish.

nzjay, Oct 20, 9:41pm
I've been into a retailer and had a look, very impressed, thanks.
Number one seller in the UK now.

donnabeth, Oct 25, 8:46pm
Avoid Parmco. I get GRRR every time I have to use it. Only 4 years old, inherited with house.

tui93, Oct 26, 5:44am
Has Beko and Belling got consumer reviews / or some sort of reviews? They are both UK brands aren't they? We liked the look of Belling. We went to the Wgtn home show and saw a nice wall oven by the name of Progress. Quite impressed, but once again, some sort of reviews would be nice.

jane310567, Oct 26, 8:36am
we got an electrolux - we found it very difficult to get a good internal size. Some are tiny and you can't even fit a normal size tray in them! It wasn't the cheapest but one of the bigger ones.

smalltrader2, Oct 27, 12:22am
Had two Bosch ovens before and they both performed well with no issues. I think Bosch is value for money.

trade4us2, Oct 27, 8:59am
If you buy a self cleaning oven, be aware that they use a lot of current when cleaning and can't be plugged into ordinary power points. Check the maximum wattage on the rating plate. It may cost another $500 to run another cable and power point and circuit breaker.

1749, Oct 31, 3:21am
we replaced our Simpson (la Scala) recently (sick of the hinges getting loose and door not shutting properly. We bought a F&P OB60SL9 , because it was the only reasonably priced oven with a decent internal capacity. All the european ovens have much smaller internal capacity. The F&P capacity is simmilar to the Simpson.

nzjay, Oct 31, 7:14am
Beko is European, made in Turkey actually. Good consumer reports from UK and Australia. Belling is an old English brand, but no idea where they are made now.

extrayda, Oct 31, 8:29pm
Thanks for all comments.
Considering a Westinghouse (good internal size, and we know someone who is happy with theirs, and 4 years with no issues). Will also look at the Beko. Priority being good width, and not something that is going to give problems !