Oven's wiring - wired in legal

Page 1 / 2
vivienney, Mar 5, 5:03am
Does anyone know if it is still legal to wire an oven into house's system or do they need be plugged in! (I am arranging to have an oven installed into a flat.) Thanks.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 5:21am
x1
not 100% sure but .
If plugged in, it has to be a very specific type plug AND installed by a reg electrician, which also currently means that a RCD circuit breaker upgrade will need to be done as well
you can't use any sort of std household type plug

kwaka5, Mar 5, 6:49am
If you not sure mrfixt then why comment. If it was hard wired pervious then it can be hard wired again. if the wiring has to be altered then a plug and socket must be fitted. If there was no oven there to begin with then the mains also may need upgrading. Are you replacing an existing range or installing a new one where there never was!

russ18, Mar 5, 6:50am
A new connection for a freestanding stove needs to be plug-in, replacing an existing hardwired stove can still remain hardwired.

It does not require any sort of RCD upgrade.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:00am
LOL. bite me .

We HAD a new replacement similar stove put in last year & the RCD had to be upgraded.
The old stove was a top of the range 25 years ago & the new stove has the same features.
Yes ours is hard wired.
I have seen a few 'plug in' stove setups & they are NOT a std wall plug.

ryanm2, Mar 5, 7:01am
Can you two guys point a young lad in the direction of the wiring rules or act where it states an existing install can be replaced with the existing hardwiring in place! Thanks.

woodhouse_elect, Mar 5, 7:02am
Another point to take into account here is although a replacement free standing range= no plug required, it is highly reccomended so tenant can clean!(Tui ad)and if the vinyl is replaced you do not need to call the electrician back.

ryanm2, Mar 5, 7:03am
Maybe the sparky upgraded your MCB, no need and rather stupid to have a RCD on a stove - (unless spec'd by consultants as stove's (ranges) have power points on the side of them) But thats a whole different story.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:03am
The sparkys that have done our stove & HW Cylinder for us had to upgrade the rcd's & switchs because the newer stove & hw cylinder even tho of a similar spec DID overload the original rcd/ fuse setup

ryanm2, Mar 5, 7:06am
well you certainly dont want a hwc on a rcd.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:10am
Ask the 'knowitalls above, they seem to knowitall.

Better yet a good example of how confusing the current regs are
http://www.electricalforum.co.nz/index.php!action=more_details&id=1332398092&PHPSESSID=96b83f723e6a94ca7cb82b5d885da523

russ18, Mar 5, 7:10am
There is no requirement to put stoves or electric water heaters on RCDs and one of the main reasons is potential for nuisance tripping. are you confusing RCDs and MCBs!

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:11am
So you would hardwire a hwc with no fuse (old reg) or rcd (new reg)

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:13am
Good grief variations of the same intended result
Pedantics & all.
Best you go read that forum to better understand the confusion about our currentregs

russ18, Mar 5, 7:18am
I can see you're confused but most of us are coping ok.

ryanm2, Mar 5, 7:21am
I didn't say that - you dont want HWC on RCD's because they could nuisance trip due to leakage current in the element, same with air con units (compressors) or Ranges. You must have them on a suitably rated MCB, which i think you are calling a fuse. MCB's have been common practice from the early 1990's so either you are way out of touch or a tad confused , no pun intended.

russ18, Mar 5, 7:23am
Other way around, you would need to point out the requirement to upgrade an existing stove connection because of replacing the stove - or repairing any part of the stove connection for that matter.
If it was legal when installed under previous rules then it is legal.

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:23am
Basically if the wiring is of a modern-ish std & still in good condition & suitable for the replacement stove spec, then it can be re-hardwired back in.

Apparently it's up to the sparky "on the spot"to decide if replacing hardwired with a plug, will need a cert & other work or not
Interpretation is the mother of a snafu's

Different story if you were to move the cable to a different location then it's classed as a new installation, certs & all

mrfxit, Mar 5, 7:28am
LOL yea ok & . whatever, both have a similar job & intended result but with different fault tolerances

Late nights/ early mornings & this hot weather arehassle's no one needs

russ18, Mar 5, 7:30am
Not even close.

ryanm2, Mar 5, 8:04am
An RCD wont protect the cable until its too late and a MCB wont protect a person until its too late. You really are a a lot confused. Soon enough every cct will have its own RCBO then we will all be happy.

t_naki, Mar 5, 8:50am
Earlier you said that you have seen ranges on plug and sockets and that is correct that you can put them on one if you want to and a lot of people do but it is not a requirement only an option. RCD should not be fitted to ranges or HWC's and there is a specific exemption on sockets for the connection of cooking appliances to allow this.

Rewirable fuses, MCB's and RCD's are all different items and are not interchangeable. Fuses have a much to low breaking capacity for modern use and so MCB's are used as protection against fault and over current. RCD's are used to offer personal protection by measuring the balance of current between the phase and neutral and will trip when they go out of balance, ie some current is flowing to earth. A RCD will not trip at its rated current it will burn out.

mm12345, Mar 5, 9:05am
Do modern ranges even have power sockets on them!I don't think we've had a range with power sockets for decades.
It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't allowed on new ranges - it's a daft idea really when cords are at risk of being dragged over hot elements or pulling hot pots off the stove top.

pauldw, Mar 5, 9:34am
You need to look at a few free standing ovens next time you're in an appliance store. F&P and Westinghouse both have socket either side.

trade4us2, Mar 5, 11:05am
And if you put an electric jug and a toaster in the sockets and turn on all the elements it might melt the wiring!