Oven's wiring - wired in legal

Page 2 / 2
t_naki, Mar 5, 5:23pm
The sockets are protected by a fuse inside the range. Otherwise the circuit protection on the switchboard should be rated for the protection of the cable.

liggy2, Mar 5, 7:19pm
Ring the electrical workersregistration board they will tell you all you need to know as the regs are constantly being updated. 0800661000

killy1, Mar 5, 8:51pm
ryan2,
ESS reg 66,3,dThe so called 'like for like 'clause.

vivienney, Mar 6, 5:38am
Yikes, quite confused by most of thread but thanks everyone for your contribution. It sounds like it is a gray area. Thanks Liggy for the number. I will give it a call. :) Vivienne

210sback, Mar 6, 5:46am
ovens are never put on an rcd,don't comment on things you know nothing about.

210sback, Mar 6, 5:55am
dont be confused just ask your electrician,mrfxit is the one that is confused.i think he got his qualification from a weetbix box.

kwaka5, Mar 6, 6:50am
Ask me. I'm a registered electrical inspector. think i can still remember some of the rules and regs. Waht do you actually want to know. Are you installing new, as in there has never been a range there in the first place. or are you replacing and existing range, as in there is one there but have bought a nice new shiny one. Or is it that i want to alter my kitchen around. More information the better.

t_naki, Mar 6, 6:57am
It is not a grey area at all mrfixit is remarkably uninformed and should not be listened to.

russ18, Mar 6, 7:07am
Electrical inspector here too, this really isn't a gray area.

vivienney, Mar 7, 7:23am
Hi, Sorry, should have explained that it is to replace a redundant oven which is plugged in. I called the number but they had no-one available to answer these types of questions at present. I spoke to an electrician at work who said the new one should be plugged in but that the old oven's fitting could be transferred over. Cheers!

russ18, Mar 7, 7:29am
Yep, in all probability just swap the lead over and plug in.

kam04, Mar 7, 11:22pm
Are you a sparky or just a DIY one!

marte, Mar 8, 3:01am
And whats the story if you are adding a stove with a oven thats seperate from the flat top elements!

russ18, Mar 8, 3:04am
The plug-in requirement only applies to freestanding cookers - wall ovens and hobs can be hardwired.

elect70, Mar 8, 4:03am
Just get sparky to swaplead over to new stove & test .

velenski, Mar 9, 9:38pm
wow ,i hope some of you are not real sparkies. scary stuff :)

zeroh, Mar 10, 12:19am
Doesn't the latest regulation/s require a wall switch .!

ryanm2, Mar 10, 12:55am
The earliest regulations required a wall switch - this is not the issue the above posts are discussing. They are discussing when is the need for a oven plug and socket.

russ18, Mar 10, 2:05am
An electric hob requires a switch, wall oven doesn't. but always a good idea.

ryanm2, Mar 10, 4:17am
Really - any appliance has to have a local isolation point if hardwired!

russ18, Mar 10, 5:21am
No most don't require isolation and often not even local functional switching but it's usually a good idea, switching of cooking appliances is specifically covered in clause 4.7.1 of AS/NZS3000

maccool, Mar 16, 11:15pm
Electrical inspector here too, and I'm hoping Mrfixit isnt a registered worker. If he is he really needs to go and do a course or something because it seems really out of touch

t_naki, Apr 23, 5:54pm
I agree with russ18 most do not require it although it is best practice to put one in remembering the the standards are the minimum requirement. Also if you ant to get pedantic you can always say that the breaker is the isolation point in most houses as with rail mounted breakers you can turn them off and insert a wire through to lock them off. 1 strand of2.5 will easily fit through and seal it with a crimp as a lockout or you can buy lockout tags specially made that will do the job with a padlock.