Starting a worm farm?

Page 2 / 2
max10, Oct 20, 10:46pm
HELP.I have put the worms in their new home BUT they keep getting out I have just spent the last half hour collecting them up and putting them back in.my worm farm has a collection bin for the worm wee with a plastic plant pot turned upside down so that if they end up in the collection bin they can climb back up to the working bin which is the one I put them in, then I have another empty working bin on top. The one I put the worms in has corragated card board, shredded paper, worm food and a thin layer of very fine bark mulch then thick damp news paper ontop of the food etc, what an I doing wrong as the worms are moving up to the empty bin , down into the collection bin and also out of the bins altogether and going for a wander out the drive way, They cant like us very much as they are running way from home LOL

bev00, Oct 21, 11:25am
recycling good advice

dolma, Oct 21, 7:53pm
I spoil my worms occasionally and put the scraps,coffee groundsin a foodprocessor and blitz it all down to a mush .This gives them a head start in eating They seem to like it might be a way to keep your worms happy while they are settling in

shimmygirl, Oct 21, 8:01pm
Oh dear.Is today any better!
They normally only climb out if there is something in the bin they don't like.such as too much citrus, onion/garlic, capsicums.
They also eat stuff that's already quite decayed.notfresh stuff.
Hope their behaving better today!

sonja2, Oct 21, 8:20pm
As worms dont have teeth, blitzing your food scraps and peelings, adding a little extra moisture, is the best way to feed them.

max10, Oct 23, 8:46am
better today only about half as many trying to take a wander this morning, so put them back in about 10am this morning, have just checked on them and nont are going for a wander now so I dont know why they were taking off yesterday, their food at the moment is carrot and potato peelings someyucky lettuce leaves and cut up cabbage leaves