House noise

bluebear609, Oct 1, 12:27am
moved into a house recently and it is about 7 years old, reputable brand etc. last week noticed in our bedroom it makes a few popping/cracking sounds occasionally through the night. hadnt noticed in the weeks prior to that. any ideas please, nothing noticeable anywhere

kaddiew, Oct 1, 1:46am
My 25 year old brick and tile house snaps, crackles and pops through the night in various areas. Some of it appears to be as the house exterior cools after sundown - maybe you're only starting to hear it now as the weather warms up?

bluebear609, Oct 1, 2:37am
thank you, only been here a few weeks and don't think heard when first came here but then maybe was so knackered wouldn't have heard anything

vickyh1, Oct 1, 3:01am
Our brick and tile makes some really loud cracks at night in warmer weather. There's one particular one in our bedroom that sounds like a 303 going off just as I've drifted off to sleep - regardless what time I go to bed!

It hasn't fallen down yet.

bluebear609, Oct 1, 3:51am
thanks vickyh1 can i ask how old your house is? is it worth in summer/warmer weather, reassuring hasnt fallen down ;-)

russ18, Oct 1, 4:25am
Sounds like ghosts to me.

gabbysnana, Oct 1, 6:01am
yeap we have that as well and him will be getting on the roof and in the roof and finding it , so over it. Sounds like the roof rips apart.

bluebear609, Oct 1, 8:17am
what age of a house and construction?

macandrosie, Oct 1, 8:24am
Our old villa has been re-clad with palliside for the past 20+ years. It expands & contracts throughout the day with the heat & cold, you get used to it.

bluebear609, Oct 1, 8:42am
does it make a crack or pop sound?

ira78, Oct 1, 7:43pm
That's not your house: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome
Exploding head syndrome is a condition in which a person perceives loud, imaginary noises or an explosive feeling when falling asleep or waking up

gabbysnana, Oct 2, 5:43am
its the 5 rib, hot/ cold related, 80's house, just its real Loud when it goes twang.

macandrosie, Oct 2, 7:29am
More of a creaky sound I guess. Put HRV in a few years ago & hubby had diligently replaced all floors, screwed down too. Unfortunately we have a bad squeak in the kitchen floor where everyone walks, vinyl down & nothing we can do about it!

bluebear609, Oct 2, 7:48am
how often do you hear the noise and is it on one area of the house

vickyh1, Oct 3, 12:42am
It was built in 1999/2000, so 15 years old.

I think it's worse in very warm weather, midsummer etc. I keep expecting to see a ceiling panel torn asunder!

vickyh1, Oct 3, 12:43am
My partner hears it too. It will be quite dramatic if both our heads explode at once! Not so cool if only one goes - imagine the cleanup :(

yogibearz, Oct 3, 1:05am
Our lockwood home is so loud its like its talking to us.Just the contraction and expansion that takes place.

bluebear609, Oct 3, 9:28pm
does it happen all times of the day or when thanx

scottea, Oct 3, 9:50pm
We have a 40+ year old Lockwood that could be used for sound effects at times and it is it sort of comforting to hear. You know what the weather is like outside without doing more than listening to the house sounds.

trade4us2, Oct 4, 10:20am
If there's any spouting missing, the dew at night will fall down and make a noise. I never had any spouting for a few years, so it was quite noisy!

kevlight, Oct 4, 5:30pm
you will probably find its the roof panels contracting and expanding,they screw them down too tight and do not put enough rubber spacers( if any)between the over laps; if you climb up, on an older corrugated iron roof you will find a large percentage of the lead head nails , loose or with heads missing (from heat expansion) the more modern screwed down roofs are meant to move a little up and down on the Tech screw , but most roofers just wack them in as tight as with their rattle guns(impact drills )

summersunnz, Oct 5, 10:40am
Lockwood houses used to make cracking and popping sounds. do they still?

lindymf55, Oct 5, 11:03pm
I used to hear creaking type sounds, particularly in my bedroom and always during the day.

I found it hard to explain what the sound was, other than 'creaking'. It nearly drove me mad, as it was at a time that I'd been ill and in my bedroom a lot.

Because I couldn't explain what the noise was, I didn't know how to deal with it.

Then, one day, someone suggested that it might be the iron roofing, and perhaps there were loose nails.

As it turned out, that is exactly what it was. I got someone to renail (or whatever the word is) and it's fine now.

bluebear609, Sep 8, 4:00pm
our roof is a tile roof so maybe not the noise from there as seems others with problems have been iron