My strawberries are puny - what to do?

ange164, Nov 26, 3:03am
I've transplanted them earlier to a sunny spot, they are weed free, well fed with sheep pellets and Novatech premium plant food, and watered every day when it's hot. The plants are leafy enough, some just this season's small ones, some larger ones from previous seasons. The berries themselves are puny. What more could they possibly want from me!

kinna54, Nov 26, 3:07am
Maybe it's time to look at replacing the plants! How long have they been in! I grew strawberies for the 1st time last year, and was told to feed them regularly with sulphate of potash. I got an awesome crop. I have left the plants in this season, as they looked healthy, have kept up the potash,and am awaiting the 1st crop for the season now, lots of flowers on so hope they will be good. Will look at replacing next yr tho.
Hope that helps.

ange164, Nov 26, 3:27am
x1
so they want potash! okay. {wombles off to google what potash is}

lythande1, Nov 26, 3:51am
They can start that way, they improve.
Watering every day! I wouldn't, they don't like being wet. Give a good soak, and don't worry about the top part of the dirt, check below that to see how it's doing, mine get watered once a week at the most frequent.

ange164, Nov 26, 4:18am
ok. I'll keep that in mind too then. THanks.

red2, Nov 26, 4:19am
I don't think they really get going until the weather heats a bit more - mine are not nearly where they were this time last year and some of them are new plants too

maclad, Nov 26, 4:23am
Sheep pellets are nitrogen which will encourage foliage growth. a balanced fruit fertilizer with extra potash may help.

kinna54, Nov 26, 6:39am
You can buy the sulphate of potash in small plastic bags from Bunnings or any good garden centre should have it. I prefer it to the straight out strawberry food, cos you can use it in other parts of the garden as well, and also it is a bit cheaper.

texastwo, Nov 26, 8:00pm
I usually add mature sheep manure in August and then some Yates Strawberry food about now. My 3 year old plants look super healthy and have lots of strawberries on them. Picked the first hafl dozen last night and Im in the Hutt Valley where it can still be a bit cold at this time. Biggest problem is finding something to put on top of the soil to stop the fruit rotting. Pea Straw is good but pricey.

paremata1950, Nov 26, 11:46pm
Pine needles are great for under the strawberry fruit, and they love the acid.

liggy2, Nov 27, 12:23am
Second year plants do best -plenty of water and all I use is a bucket with seaweed in it kept full of water and use one cup of this concentrate per bucket of water to dilute. No need for expensive fertilisers and pea straw is best for under them as it is high in nitrogen.

texastwo, Nov 27, 7:44pm
Funny you should say that. I have collected a couple of bags of Pineneedles to do just that.that but somebody on here warned about using them
.I have used them as mulch previously (not for strawberries) and found that they didaffect the soil. But if you have done this succesfully.

kcc55a, Nov 27, 7:50pm
Interesting how you can get totally opposing suggestions on here. #4 saysnot too much watering and#11 says plenty of water !

farmer40, Nov 29, 10:21pm
I thought I would feed mine with blood&bone but think I gave them too much and burnt off the plants. They have now died so be careful with blood&bone.

kateley, Nov 29, 10:48pm
I'm having a great crop of strawbs this year,My plants are all sown by the birds, in a gravel path with a concrete pad at their backs.I've never fed or watered them and they've been growing there for 3 or 4 years.

traderat, Nov 30, 11:09pm
I use pieces of plastic gutter mesh to place under any fruit to keep them dry and off the soil,and netting for the birds.

jandm4, Dec 1, 2:51am
i divided 2 year old plants up this year,stuck them back in and didnt give them a second thought.they are doing real well,huge strawberries ,my dog has a loves them, caught him eating them the other day again.

toffeey, Dec 4, 11:36am
Jandm4 heehee. Nice to know he appreciates the finer things. My strawberries are tiny but taste great. However my cat is very entertained by the blackbird I am competing with to eat them. He hasnt yet managed to haul himself off his derriere to chase birdie yet but I live in hope

kateley, Dec 4, 7:48pm
my dog loves them too, and the tomatoes.She even used to pick and eat the mandarins when she was a pup

tigra, Dec 4, 8:29pm
LOL! for the birds to "sow" them you must have lost a lot in the firstcrops but reaping the rewards now.

kateley, Dec 3, 10:14am
nah - the birds must've eaten strawberries in someone elses garden