Oxalis arrived in bedding plants

meoldchina, Jan 24, 1:34am
Up until this summer I have had very little, if any, oxalis in my garden. However, I am now finding it in my flower borders and I have come to the conclusion that it has arrived in the bedding plants that I bought from one of the large DIY warehouse stores. Very frustrating and annoying.

thea4, Jan 24, 3:06am
Hi I know the feeling I bought compost to make a new small garden and ended up taking 4 supermarket bags of bulbs out of it.and then starting over again.so twice as much work.
Which is why I now only buy Daltons products I have never had problems with those

devine-spark, Jan 24, 8:06am
Yes, I have had issues too. Has taken an age to almost clear it. Still the odd group coming up and I have been on my hands and knees pretty much sieving the soil. Annoying.
Also am having a lot of problems to Tui products, both straw for the strawberries and peat. Full of annoying weeds.

dee238, Jan 24, 6:29pm
I bought six plants and 2 bags of soil from the same place. All six plants now have root rot and it spread to a couple of other plants. I could have caused it myself when potting the plants up, but I've been doing the same thing for years and never had it before. Gutted.

tigra, Jan 24, 9:25pm
Have you thought of going back and complaining? If this has all happened in the last couple of months you should because the plants have to be "fit for purpose" under the CGA

rainrain1, Jan 24, 10:35pm
I have discovered a horrible weed come in with the bedding plants too. It has a very leafy top, and great big long orange roots which spread out a long way. I have forgotton the name of it

juliewn, Jan 25, 1:11am
My MIL when a young bride in the 30's, was clearing the garden around the house they moved to, which had been empty several years. Carefully saving some plants and bulbs, she had a small pile of each when her MIL visited. and asked 'why are you saving those?' - 'so they'll flower in Spring' - whereupon her MIL burst into laughter, they were all oxalis bulbs. :-)

I actually don't mind them in my garden, the flowers are pretty and colourful. it's the convolvulus from next door that attempts to take over trees and shrubs that I'd rather do without.

meoldchina, Jan 25, 3:19am
Yes, I do plan to make them aware of the problem. I expect they will wriggle out of any responsibility, citing the "fickle hand of nature", probably.

lemming2, Jan 25, 3:32am
I'm in a similar position, only with another ghastly bulby thing whose name I don't remember. It pups worse than Oxalis, sends its bulbs down somewhere near China I think, has great strappy leaves that lie down flat over everything, then puts up a great long flower stem with a tiny pathetic UGLY white flower head . at least Oxalis is pretty!

b-rowdy, Jan 26, 6:52am
Take them back, they would have been grown initially where I work, not going to lie, we hired new growers and the standards have slipped that 6 people have quit and about 10 of us are actively looking for new work! People dont complain enough and if you dont it wont get back to the original source and nothing will change, so please do, you probably will be fobbed off by the chain store but feel free to complain directly to the company that grew the plants in the first place?. -

breness, Jan 26, 7:48am
The compost sold at The Warehouse is made by Daltons.

poppysinger2, Jan 26, 8:15am
Hi this has happened to me and the plants have come from ZEALANDIA , I never had any oxalis at all until I planted some bedding plants grown by them and now this damned weed is in my brand new raised bed . Grrrr. It must be in their potting mix I think.

b-rowdy, Aug 25, 6:28am
Our veges will always bolt and go to seed now too, I quit being a grower and went to auditing when the new people started, I couldnt believe the change in the place, we push everything to its limit and when it gets to a real home they get cared for properly and cant handle it, the mix used to be amazing until we changed to a cheaper peat mine too, do complain to us directly, its the only way things will get fixed, profit is down wickedly and the bosses bleat it to us all the time, yet they blame wages instead of thinking the plants we are now selling are shite, Im so sorry you have wretched oxalis through your beds, its horrible to get rid of :(