What is the best way to heat our lounge?

Page 2 / 2
bill1451, Aug 24, 12:05am
Log burner 4 me, its my form of exercise,grow it, cut it, split it, (petrol powered log splitter) burn it, this way you get warm 3 times, no such thing as "free firewood" still takes effort, more of a lifestyle thing, but hey plenty of farmers
If you have 1 a chainsaw, 2 a trailer, 3 motivation to get of the computer and clean up the cockys wind blown trees.my 10c worth.

maccachic1, Sep 4, 3:48am
Id always pick a woodfire over a heat pump anyday.

dollydot, Sep 5, 12:45am
A heat pump would be useful for you in the Summer also if you wanted to use it for cooling. We have both a wood burner and heat pump in family room, heat pump only in lounge. Best heat is from the wood burner which we love but don't always enjoy the mess with wood bits dropping on the carpet etc. Heat pump is quick, efficient and economical to run but although it is properly located and has been checked it can be draughty.

bluefrog2, Sep 5, 1:50am
Unless you have an existing fireplace, I'd go for a heat pump up north. Remember, with a woodburner, you have to stack wood at least once a year, and deal with wood ash regularly. You'll also have to have your chimney cleaned every year or so.

tigra, Sep 5, 2:02am
[quote=russ18h. even on those bone chilling 15 degree days[/quote]

LOL!

maddie44, Sep 5, 3:55am
Hubby wanted to get rid of the fireplace so got a heat pump installed but I held him back on removing the fireplace
I played the game for a while not lighting the fire even though I wanted to. One horrible winters day he came home from work wet and cold, looked at the heatpump and went down stairs and cut kindling.
A heatpump does not match a fire and it doesn't go if there is a power cut either ;-)

djtutty, Sep 6, 3:55am
I have lived with both. I prefer a wood burner which is what I have at the moment, but you cannot beat the convenience of a heat pump. Another thing to take into account s that in summer you can turn it to cool and enjoy a cool house on hot days. Ironically that's the thing I miss most about the heat pump.

golfaholic2, Sep 7, 12:36am
I stacked about 20 years worth , the EQ's forced me to restack a fair bit of 3 or 4 times over , the yearly stacking almost applies if you average it out , but Im in credit as of next year . touch wood . or not lol

maccachic1, Oct 7, 12:45pm
Get an ash pot makes cleaning up ash easy. Attach vacuum to one side and vacuum it out into said ash pot.

Quite a few people could do with getting off the couch to stack some firewood instead of sitting down pushing buttons all day :)