Patching up peeling exterior paint

waleedwahsh, Nov 25, 8:24am
Our exterior paintwork is in poor condition. In parts it has peeled, exposing the wood underneath. We can't really paint the whole house right now, so I'd be keen to know if there is any way of patching up or protecting the exposed wood until we are able to do a proper painting of the house. Any advice is welcome!

rodeoraz, Nov 25, 9:08am
I'm no expert (but to get the replies flowing and bump your thread), you could scrape the peeling paint until it scrapes no more and then use an oil based primer on the bare timber. just one idea from a novice :)

maclad, Nov 25, 9:11am
Another novice here, but I agree that painting with primer is beneficial as it will stop timber drying out and cracking until you do the job properly.

pskpinks, Nov 25, 6:12pm
If you prime now and paint later [after 6 weeks] you will need to re-apply the primer as it only protects without a top coat for about 4-6 weeks.

rodeoraz, Nov 25, 7:55pm
Really! A guy at Bunnings told me I could have those pre-primed weatherboards on the house for months (if not a whole year) before painting it. Or is that different!
Likewise, we are having our exterior prepped (scraped and sanded) in the New Year. The company has given no indication that it must be painted within a certain timeframe, and they have been very thorough in my dealings with them so far. I will have to ask them.

pauldw, Nov 25, 8:25pm
Carter Holt say don't leave primed weatherboards longer than 6 weeks, Southern Pine Products say 4 weeks.

rodeoraz, Nov 25, 8:31pm
Ok, ta.

trade4us2, Nov 25, 9:53pm
Wattyl Solarguard is a top coat that can be applied to bare wood. Put that on the bare patches, and use it for the final job too.
This is a wall of my house before and after using Solarguard:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2a66ybs.jpg

rodeoraz, Nov 25, 10:05pm
I remember that pic :)
Good idea, Resene Lumbersider is self priming too though the various quotes I've had to re-paint our house were consistent on using an oil based primer on the bare timber.

rsr72, Nov 26, 1:49am
A well-applied coat or two of a good-quality primer/undercoat on weatherboards will last a year, or more, easily until top coats can be applied.

kitaki, Nov 26, 2:50am
I use a Resene undercoat and primer combination on mine (have hardiplant ) when I need to give it a touched up. Places I touched up years back and never top coated are still good.

elise24, Nov 28, 12:06am
A preprimed board is primed with a holding primer, it's only really designed to protect the timber until on the building site (unless it is truprime). It shouldn't be considered part of your new paint system. But to answer the original; just slap something on until you can do it properly, even a Resene testpot will suffice :)

fordkiwi27, Nov 24, 5:53pm
good advice (not)