To replace caleffii valve:

Valve= 301.75
Sundries= 2.50
1/2 hour labour= 65.60
1/2 hour apprentice labour 49.60
Van charge= 20.00
Plusgst 65.92

Total 505.37

Do I have to pay the apprentice wages! I did not ask for two people to come, one could halved one the job easely by himself.
Also the hourly rate was noted at 82 $ , so half of that is not 65.60
Apprentice rate hourly 62$ half charged 49.60

What do you think, shall I battle!

All this for a tiny weedribble leak sob sob.

ryanm2, Oct 19, 11:08pm
yeah - those labour charges are very high. Also, if the apprentice did nothing I would battle that too. Im a sparky and more often than not the apprentice is unchargeable on small jobs.

kaddiew, Oct 19, 11:53pm
Wow, $131.20 an hour for the plumber, and $99.20 an hour for his apprentice! Plus 15% GST!Surely a "slip of the calculator" when working out half an hour at the quoted rates. I'd definitely be querying it.

lilyfield, Oct 20, 1:40am
Kaddiew re readmy bill, not THAT bad

rav413, Oct 20, 4:44am
$65.60 x 2 = $131.20 at my school.

carter19, Oct 20, 5:06am
Caleffimake many sorts of valves. Which one! What size! I wouldn;t pay the apprentice labour unless I was asked first.

lilyfield, Oct 20, 6:07am
valve tempering LP CaleffiTV 20L 20mm.
Can someone check on that price for me please

carter19, Oct 20, 6:42am
Thats retailprice from supplier, any plumber would charge the same

trade4us2, Oct 20, 8:18am
That's why I would buy a valve from a shop and put it in myself, or even fix the old valve for 10 cents.
This is a DIY discussion group after all!

kaddiew, Oct 20, 10:02am
I did read your bill. :)"1/2 hour labour= 65.60"equates to $131.20 per hour.and so on. :)

lythande1, Oct 20, 6:55pm
Valve, yes, parts are expensive.
His hourly rate though, it's rather high.
No idea about the apprentice, I would doubt it, there is generally a labour charge (and not that high) but it shouldn't matter how many of them there were.

aredwood, Oct 20, 8:46pm
Query the charge for the apprentice. Also check what their min labour charge is. Alot of companies will round it up if it is only a small amount.

amasser, Oct 21, 12:05am
Both labour rates seem high but would the time have doubled if the apprentice wasn't there! Not many apprentices would be worth near $100 per hour.

elect70, Oct 21, 12:51am
Miserable lot just how are apprentices to learn their trade if people wont pay for thier time . The boss still has to pay his wages. . But if thatshourly charge out ratehe ishigh . Go to dentist & you pay forhygenistdo youobject to them too , charging$200 hr +dentist could do iton his own

ladylow013, Oct 21, 2:54am
When you take the $300 valve off there, $200 isn't too bad. You look at getting a Plumber out anywhere in NZ and you will struggle to get change from $100, once they step in the door. It is a Business and it takes a good 4 Years for guys to qualify. The Labour charge is probably a minimum call out rate for the company.
Nothings Free these days.

captain20, Oct 22, 2:04am
That hourly rate is for usually a minimum charge of 1 hour. They may have only did half an hours work but u get charged a full hourly rate. Yes the apprentice should not have been charged for that job

trad, Oct 23, 3:03pm
I had a plumber here to unblock the sewer a while back and he sent a bill for about 3 times what I thought was reasonable based on his hourly rate, the time here and travelling, so I sent a cheque for twice what I thought reasonable and heard no more from him.