Rimu skirting replacement

themeat, Feb 8, 7:03am
Hi all, my EQC repairs are almost completed, however in the bathroom the skirting had gone missing. builder says that the cleaners must have thrown it out (also threw out all the smoke alarms, which is so annoying). So builder asked via text if I was ok with 40mm skirting going in, and I said no, replace with the same 12 inch rimu thank you very much!

Anyway, what has been installed has some big knots in it, whereas what was there to start with were original rimu clears.

1. Does rimu have knots the size of mandarins?
2. How many of you would accept the replacement wood, given that some of the knots will be partially hidden by a vanity or behind the door?

Part of me wants the repairs to be over and done with, but I'm not certain if I should settle for skirting that does not quite look like other skirting in the house.

clangie, Feb 8, 7:45am
id say its stained pine as rimu doesnt really have big knots like that. also 12 inch rimu would be expensive,prob $25+ per metre

mm12345, Jul 10, 9:33am
Musgroves in Wigram Rd probably have it. If it's to be varnished, it might be a bit of a challenge to find enough of the right profile in good enough condition with a consistent finish on it.
Quite likely that some work would be needed to clean it up.
Hardie and Thompson can probably do it new in NZ Rimu, but if it's not a standard profile, then it's going to cost for them to set up tooling.