Time for a new garage

Page 1 / 2
rbd, Aug 18, 10:27am
My 6m x 5m garage is really not cutting it. It's too small, full of junk and on a 30° angle to the driveway making it hard to get into. Not to mention the geometry of the single panel door is all whack and it needs to be wedged up. Bah!

Anyway, the plan is to build a 9m x 6m double garage with small spare room on the end of it. The plan is to fully gib line it. It must be in keeping with the house, which means weatherboard and not that shonky tin they use. Would shove it right up to the boundary, so firewall needed.

Now I like the idea of no rafters, hence the metal frame garages seem appropriate. Any feedback on these?

Also would you recommend something like this be built by Skyline/Totalspan etc of an independent builder?

I'm off to do the rounds of the garage sellers but any tips appreciated.

budgel, Aug 18, 11:06am
My next door neighbour has just had a Totalspan 6x9 garage built. All up cost including consent and slab was just shy of 30K.
I cant see how you could fit weatherboards on a metal frame garage without a lot of extra framing,as they dont have studs like a timber framed garage does. They have portal frames about 3M apart and horizontal walers to fix the steel cladding to. They still have rafters (portal frames), but not trusses like a skyline timber garage does, so there is more clear height inside. It looks more like a commercial building than the skyline type garages.

blans, Aug 18, 9:21pm
Love my totalspan.I have a 12x6 lined with 12mm ply and painted and a 2.5x6 leanto on the side for a woodshed. No roof trusses to get in the way but means you cant put stuff in the roof.Great company to work with in the Manawatu.

tweake, Aug 18, 11:11pm
with steel shed make sure you get building wrap/paper not only under the roof but on the walls. that way you can put insulation in.
downside of them is they are not really made for lining. i think they do make a stud kit but you end up with quite a thick wall.

rbd, Aug 19, 5:28am
Thanks for input. Turns out wife wants roof cavity to store assorted junk so looks like we will be going for wood. Time to start visiting the local agents.

johotech, Aug 19, 5:31am
Something seriously wrong with this situation.

How does she manage to have a say in this?

survivalkiwi, Aug 19, 6:48am
A kitset shed such as a totalspan will cost you about 50% of a custom built one.

lissie, Aug 19, 6:50am
Get some quotes and then consider why you are spending that much money to store junk

rbd, Aug 19, 8:19am
Yes, I know. Shamed.

rbd, Aug 19, 8:21am
Most of the junk in the garage now is either renovation related (almost complete) or bloody bikes. The new garage with finally allow us to garage both cars.

gregmran, Aug 19, 8:56am
I did mine through Versatile. did the exterior in shadowclad so it blended in with the house (vertical weatherboard) 9x6 so a reasonable size and only a garage door (sectional) and a P.A door. didn't want their crappy windows so further down the track i can put in decent joinery if I wish. They will customise anything to suit you.
Get a sparky yourself as opposed to them sorting. they allowed 2 powerpoints and two lights for it!

bergkamp, Aug 19, 10:17am
hang the bikes vertical on hooks

books4nz, Aug 19, 11:27am
Happy wife, happy life. well done!

diyblondie, Aug 19, 10:57pm
gregrman do you mind me how much your garage cost all up.

gregmran, Aug 19, 11:16pm
to be honest i can't remember exactly. i think it was around $45000 but that included retaining walls, concrete, carport on the side, rear lean to, shelving etc.

diyblondie, Aug 19, 11:19pm
Thank you! We are also debating on a new garage, but it needs to be attached to our house and include a laundry. Our 1955 model has just about done its dash.

amasser, Aug 24, 4:28am
Why? Why?

rbd, Aug 27, 9:02am
Can anyone advise the maximum % a garage is allowed to be relative to section size in South Auckland please? Just spent an hour on the useless council website trying to find it with no luck.

I measured out a 6 x 9 on my section and it is much smaller than thought. Hence I can press a bit larger, maybe 6.5 or 7 deep.

Have obtained first quote and it was around what I expected. Will probably have it built without gib so that can be done a little later at my leisure.

daryl14, Aug 27, 9:22am
You will probably find it has more to do with total unpermeable section cover i.e roof coverage of all buildings that prevents rain soakage having a total maximum percentage of your section.

Have you talked to any garage co's? They know all of this.

fordcrzy, Aug 27, 9:35am
make sure you spec the roof trusses as "attic trusses" usually laminated beam lower elements. youd be surprised how much "stuff" weighs. we got attic trusses in out 6x7.5m garage and its the cheapest storage you can get. we can apparenty put 1.2 tons of "stuff" up in our attick :)

rbd, Aug 27, 9:39am
Yes, they just are not open at 9pm Wednesday night. ;-)

Think I found it, total coverage is 35% of section size. I'll be pushing that slightly I think. I guess that may be able to be covered during the resource consent that is needed to go right up to boundary on one side.

daryl14, Aug 27, 10:13am
Site coverage comes under building consent. Resourse consent is for encroaching on your boundary setback and neighbours sun. I have just built a kitset versatile garage.

russ18, Aug 27, 10:25am
No, if you want to exceed the maximum site coverage that would require resource consent.

daryl14, Aug 27, 7:27pm
Yeah. Thats what i meant. If your site coverage is under the maximum, Its only a building consent you need to pay for.

kaylin, Aug 28, 9:09am
This is what I'm getting! Only I'm in wellington, so our section is a slope. Our bedroom and bathroom will be on a bottom level, double garage will be at the top down a slope.

What pees me off no end is that it will be 2 years this November since we employed our draughtsman. He's doing the resource consent, and supposedly the builders consent, only neither have been done yet. Initial resource consent was declined, driveway too steep. Needs to be raised another 400mm. So 1600 higher than now.

We have $100k budget, now don't think that will be anywhere near enough. Too say I'm over it, very upset etc is an understatement, TWO YEARS!