Removing Vinyl & the Glue Underneath It.

jubre, Mar 20, 3:04am
Anyone know the best way to do this, especially getting rid of the glue under the vinyl ?

happymullen, Mar 20, 6:15am
I used a large crowbar, a hammer and block of wood! Some bits of lino came off in big pieces, most came off in not so big! However kept at it and got it up, then got the lino/carpet layer in who used a big sander to take off the glue. Came up good and then new lino down. All good.

jills3, Mar 20, 7:02am
Hi, I have to say my friend has just had new vinyl laid. Contractors didnt remove the old vinyl, they came one day and put something over old vinyl and then put new vinyl. Yes acouple of faults she is not happy with, I will hear the outcome on the weekend.

lythande1, Mar 20, 5:50pm
HUsband used a spade.

annies3, Mar 21, 2:36am
We had an awful job doing this in a place we renovated but after removing the lino we just had a floor sander come in and sand all the floors the result was fantastic just like newly laid flooring, polished up beautifully.

ryelands1, Mar 21, 11:45pm
used paint scraper. Dam hard work but got there then vinyl layer came in and sanded. Yes heard a spade works well. Wish I had known this before I did mine.

tweake, Mar 22, 5:58am
depends on what sort of glue they have used. i have used mineral turps to speed things up. its softens the glue up.

treens2, Mar 22, 7:14am
spade works good ,heat gun on any glue left.

jubre, Mar 22, 10:55pm
Thanks for you answers here. The vinyl came up easy, the glue is a totally different story, might have to hire someone.
Next we will have tiles to remove, which will no be hard, but then we will have to deal with all that adhesive also, so that will be another hard slog.

paula64, Mar 23, 1:17am
Heat gun, super easy!

cleggyboy, Mar 23, 2:01am
I lifted the lino tiles in my toilet with an old spade with no handle (shorter was better) and a heat gun, the heat softened up the glue great.
But as someone else said depends on the adhesive, but worth a try.

tweake, Mar 23, 2:14am
i used turps and a scraper to get rid of the glue. pulled the vinyl off in one piece (wasn't very big), cleaned the glue off, fixed the floor, then re glued it back on.

suzieq1969, Mar 27, 6:40pm
Spade. Are you wanting to polish the floors or lay new lino.

r.d.a, Mar 28, 9:12am
Spade lino off, then dilute caustic soda and spread that all over the glue with an old broom. Wear gumboots and gloves, scrape glue off with your spade, then wash with a mop and clean water.

lespat, Mar 28, 9:15pm
Be careful before sanding. Older vinyls had asbestos backing. A colleague died of asbestosis because of this. Safest way is to just bison board over the top of existing flooring.

dreamsandhope, Mar 29, 1:55am
Oh I need to talk to you! I'm about to do it for the first time, and on my own.

tiny15, Feb 19, 6:10pm
a concrete grinder . if its a concrete floor house