Best wood glue?

lemming2, Jan 31, 7:58pm
I want to butt-join some planks for a set of storage shelves. I want the join to look as seamless as possible (for an amateur woodworker!) but not sure what's the best glue. Advice appreciated.

gkgirl, Jan 31, 8:37pm
You know, I'm no expert, but Selleys Liquid Nails has never failed me. Joins a multitude of hard substances, and has a fairly woodlike colour:) They market it as being construction strength also:)

ebygum1, Jan 31, 10:29pm
Just use P.V.A. as long as you clamp the work,you will never part it once cured.

wfl1, Jan 31, 11:23pm
The strongest glue I have used is Epiglass epiglue not cheap but a very strong glue. Fairly transparent.

pauldw, Jan 31, 11:29pm
Butt joins in shelves are a tall order. Even the best glue in the world won't give you a strong end grain join. Commercial timber joints are usually some type of finger joint. Perhaps you could expand on what you are doing.

pauldw, Jan 31, 11:48pm
Sorry, the heat had me thinking about the wrong edges. Agree that PVA will do it. You may have fun getting the edges true enough to become invisible but it's possible.

lemming2, Feb 2, 10:20pm
Thanks for the help. And you're ok pauldw: I may be an amateur, but I wouldn't be silly enough to butt-join a load bearing joint (I hope)!
The edges won't be perfect, but I just don't want them obviously ugly. I spent ages matching up the dressed planks to get them close as possible.

kenw1, Feb 3, 2:46am
Gorilla glue, it will expand to fill any gaps, so a bit of careful; tretment after to remove the excess, bit its strong.

zak410, Feb 21, 1:47pm
PVA, is perfect for this job, sponge the excess, no mess.