Watering plants while away 10 days

buzzybee1, Nov 24, 9:02am
I have about a dozen potted plants on my back porch, some on a table in medium sized pots, others on the floor in bigger pots. As I will be away for about 10 days over xmas, I'm worried about not being able to water them while away. At the moment, i'm experimenting with a type of wicking system, where i have a big 5lt bowl of water wth all kinds of 'wicks' hanging out, but find that they are either too efficient, draining the bowl within 3 days, or too slow or not working at all. I would be very interested to hear about tried and proven automatic watering ideas/methods that don,t cost the earth. no offence please, not just suggestions please, am running out of time for more experiments lol!

rarogirl1, Nov 24, 9:05am
cant you ask a neighbour or friend to water them for you. 10 days is not very long so probably only need to be watered about 3 times

buzzybee1, Nov 24, 9:19am
I know this sounds a little weird, but no, i cant ask a neighbour or friend, thanks for your concern though

brightlights60, Nov 24, 9:32am
Personally I would set up a small starter (cheap) irrigation drip system and stick it on the cheapest timer you can get from a place like the warehouse.

maddie44, Nov 24, 10:36am
You could try this for some

Drip Irrigator from a Plastic Bottle
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Drip-Irrigator-from-a-Plastic-Bottle and maybe add some Watergel Water Storing Crystals to the pots http://www.bunnings.co.nz/gardman-watergel-water-storing-crystals-125g_p00203684

tvremote, Nov 24, 12:35pm
Also, on the day you leave cover the soil of your pot plants with wet newspaper. This will help retain moisture and give your plants a few extra days without needing more water

woody89, Nov 24, 6:32pm
If I'm away for any length of time, I simply place any pots that fit into the bath, part filled with water. Larger pots get moved out of direct sunlight & stood in big plastic tubs with water. All are given a good soak before I go. Wet sphagnum moss placed in the pots around the plants also helps. I've not had any losses this way.

annies3, Nov 24, 8:06pm
I have seen the wick method work very well using wool as a wick it makes a difference how high the water is in relation to the plants.
Just had a conversation with Hubby, he recalls his father teaching him to use the wick method with wool as well, also some sugar in the water.

brightlights60, Jul 23, 12:43pm
Just to add, I pop coconut fibre (buy it wholesale) and soak it to get loads of water in it, then put that and the water storing crystals in all my outdoor pots. Saves them when by about January February things are getting dry. Mind you, its going to get hot here the next couple of days too!