Planting between fence and driveway ?

Page 1 / 2
sammie55, Feb 8, 2:17am
Does anyone have any ideas about what I could plant up the side of my driveway please ? It is about 12 inches wide, and a very hot and dry area. Something that looks good and tidy, and low maintenance. There is a 6 foot wooden fence behind, so it has some shelter.
It is also quite a long bit of garden, any ideas welcome, thank you.

skyblue17, Feb 8, 2:36am
Which direction does it face.? Very hot in the afternoon.?

sammie55, Feb 8, 3:16am
Yes it is, the sun shines directly onto it. Very dry, and sandy soil. It gets shade in the mornings.

chrisgbrown, Feb 8, 4:28am
Lavender Bees love Lavender

nonumbers, Feb 8, 5:17am
Livingstone daisies?

needy, Feb 8, 5:44am
Gazanias. Love them and so many different colours

sammie55, Feb 8, 5:52am
Some good ideas here thank you, will keep them in mind,
Thanks again.

richard112, Feb 8, 5:53am
Wandering Jew will thrive there

trade4us2, Feb 8, 6:13am
Ivy

wheelz, Feb 8, 7:56am
Lavender

dibble35, Feb 8, 8:31am
Corokia - smaller growing one such as little prince, or grey fox

peter148, Feb 8, 8:46am
Being so sunny I would use it for herbs such as basil, coriander, and thyme

bluefrog2, Feb 8, 10:00am
Succulents.

EDIT: Livingstone daisies have to be replanted every year. Lavender and thyme are short lived perennials, so they have to be cut back hard, and eventually replanted every second or third year.

sophie98, Feb 8, 7:09pm
What about a low growing succulent.

maccachic1, Feb 9, 1:38am
We have Cordylines and Bangalow Palms down ours with stone base

sammie55, Feb 9, 2:38am
Thanks to all for your replies, looks like I have some googling to do to have a look at the suggestions. Thanks to all.

hazelnut2, Feb 9, 2:57am
My lavender self-seeds, It grows large each year and I rip a whole lot out to let the rest grow again the next year. (it's 5 years old now).

Bear in mind that if the garden is beside your driveway, room must be left for passengers to get out of cars and walk around the car if they are going to be parking beside it.

wheelz, Feb 9, 4:24am
Lavenders come in small compact forms too. And are easy to propagate from cuttings.

skyblue17, Feb 9, 6:11am
Hebes.?

cameron-albany, Feb 9, 6:32am
Hebes yes (but get the RIGHT one - there are lots of varieties!). and what about NZ native Iris, Libertia ixiodes ? It's very nice, low-maint, pretty and self-contained! There's also Libertia grandiflora which may need a little more room than what you've quoted but check it out also. Both in my opinion would be excellent choices.

skyblue17, Feb 9, 7:21am
And how would TA choose the right hebes.?

summersunnz, Feb 9, 11:57am
Rosemary.

lilyfield, Feb 9, 6:50pm
Dare I say agapanthus?

pskpinks, Feb 9, 7:17pm
You can dare but if you care for humanity at all you won't suggest agapanthus. Even my miniature ones have decided to take over the world and the little darlings grow again after I have dug them up from tiny bits of root.
My normal sized ones have stalks and heads of flowers that are 1.5 metres from the base of the plant and when wet they hang over the drive way and beat the car senseless when it dares to drive past.

pskpinks, Feb 9, 7:19pm
Succulents - so many lovely ones to choose from - and they love benign neglect and the heat from the diveway as well as sun.