Cracks in my concrete driveway

poolgirl6, Feb 19, 4:56am
I have large slabs of aggregate concrete in my driveway and leading into my garage. It has a slight slope and is ina sunny position. Long cracks have appeared recentlyon some of them and I suspect the ground underneath with the long hot dry has caused the movement.I can hear a hollow noise when I stamp hard under certain parts of the slabs.
Can I do any thing about this at this time! Your suggestions please.

lythande1, Feb 19, 6:49pm
No.
It should have had reinforcing in it in the first place.

kcc55a, Feb 19, 7:57pm
Even with reinforcing and expansion cuts concrete can still crack.

poolgirl6, Feb 20, 8:53am
Thanks, so put up with cracks or replace!
Wonder whether a ph call to the insurance co may be worthwhile!

lythande1, Feb 20, 6:40pm
I doubt insurance would cover it. They might if a tree fell on it, or an earthquake did it, but dirt drying out! No.
You might just be stuck with getting it fixed yourself, it should have a good layer of gravel underneath, and reinforcing in it.

tigra, Feb 20, 7:01pm
It probably wasnt compacted properly in the first place if the cracks are really bad you will neeed to think about replacing the slabs. but its probably quite costly

twink19, Feb 20, 7:33pm
could be this very dry weather we are having, ours has cracked, not going to replacing it

elect70, Feb 21, 4:17am
I have had my concrete deckcrackbut that was due tohiwater table-just belowground level, insurance wouldnt pay out. I just putanother lvery sloppy layer of concreteover the top .

poolgirl6, Feb 21, 7:54am
Thank you everyone, too big an area to consider replacing it.I do believe the hot dry weather will be the likely cause.The slabs have been down for over 6 years!

squeaking, Feb 21, 8:31am
unfortunatly the cracks will only get worse over the years if there is no mesh ,when the ground gets wet again it will swell and lift and the oppositein the summer, the mesh does not stop cracking like most think, it only holds it together and stops most of the rise and fall of the crack,

timbo69, Feb 22, 9:14am
there is a company that drills holes through it and injects some stuff to re support, dont know cost and obviously wont fix what ever is moving - ie might happen again

poolgirl6, Feb 23, 1:11am
Timbo69, thanks for that. Will hope for some rain, and an end to this problem for a while.

lpggas, Feb 24, 7:55am
That's a very good option , basically they drill several big holes in the good concrete & pump a grout slurry under the bits that need supporting . Won't get rid of existing cracks but will help prevent more
We did it on truckstop driveways in Australia that have 50 tonne semis turning on them & it was fantastic . From memory it works out about 10-15% of the cost of a new slab

guest, Oct 10, 8:44am
chattanooga laptop reiapr, chattanooga dc jack reiapr, chattanooga apple reiapr, chattanooga mac reiapr, dell motherboard reiapr, hp motherboard reiapr, hp reflow, hp motherboard reflow, hp laptop reflow, hp motherboard reiapr / Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there.

guest, May 28, 5:59pm
Jamal Wagenheim / Really many thanks for such a fatstnaic posting here. I must tell that I was looking around for some thing like that for quite a long amount of time but your site is the very first one where I was really able to find some thing. Many thanks one more time and keep providing such good ones in the nearest future too.