Whats the cheapest way to do a driveway?

nashipear, Feb 4, 2:27am
We have about 130m2 of driveway to do and just wondering how much it would be to get it done

arielbooks, Feb 4, 2:34am
Shop around as prices can vary greatly especially if the contractor has enough work on already they will quote high hoping you don't accept.

nzdoug, Feb 4, 6:26am
I did one myself for about $900.00 that was 27 sq m. in 1992.
On the same section we hired so pros who did a great job in 2012 at the cost of approx $16,000 for about 70 sq m.

pettal, Feb 4, 7:05am
Just put it down in shingle .

biddy6, Feb 4, 6:34pm
Dont fall for those scammers doing the rounds in the s' Island at the moment.

lythande1, Feb 4, 6:50pm
2 yrs ago this May we had quotes for concrete and asphalt on our 208sqm gravel drive and garage frontage.
Concrete was $15000, we went with Asphalt Improvements $7920. Beautiful job, excellent company and I love the drive now! No more weeding the gravel, potholes in the gravel, gravel tracked all over the place.

Couriers keep commenting - one has a couple of rental properties and decided he'd do the same at one of them.

trade4us2, Feb 4, 8:57pm
Cheapest way is to dump scoria, run cars over it, smooth it out and dump fine white limestone on top. Run cars over that too and rake it out.

elect70, Feb 6, 4:20am
Con crete aways cracks , mine has after the 2 E quakes last year , but insurance wont replace , i reckon hard packet gravel is just as good .

rojill, Jul 16, 6:51am
NOT recommended if you have a base with a high clay content.
Reason is that ground moisture is absorbed by the highly porous scoria which in turn ENSURES that the surface of the base is always soft, thus when the weight of a vehicle passes over it it just presses the scoria further into the ground. This is the reason why old cheap driveways with a scoria base have a raised hump / ridge running between and parallel to the tyre tracks
Best to use graded base course, or run of the pit, with a fine top course, Cost will be more but cheaper in the long run.
Also remember that limestone will dissolve over time and if you want to concrete over at some later date, the council may require you to remove the limestone as it will not be stable enough as a base for a concrete drive.