Skyline garage conversion

1516, Nov 18, 9:16pm
I want to convert a double skyline garage into a self contained granny flat with water, toilet etc. Do I need a permit!Has anyone here done this.! Any advise appreciated

wheelz, Nov 18, 9:26pm
yes, have a builder come around and show him what you plan to do, he should know all the ins and outs, might even have some hints for you.

accroul, Nov 18, 11:00pm
Why don't you ring your North Shore Skyline agent!
http://skylinebuildings.co.nz/contact/office/skyline_buildings_north_shore

1516, Nov 18, 11:43pm
x1
I totally understand the excitement of converting a garage into a self-contained granny flat. It can be a great way to add some extra living space to your property. But before you start knocking down walls and installing plumbing, there are a few things you need to know.

First of all, the answer to the question of whether you need a permit or not depends on where you live. Different areas have different rules and regulations when it comes to building and renovation projects. So, the first thing you should do is check with your local council to see what permits and approvals you need. It's better to be safe than sorry, and you don't want to get hit with any fines or legal issues down the road.

Assuming you've got the permits sorted, the next thing to consider is the layout and design of your new granny flat. The fact that you're converting a double skyline garage into a self-contained unit means that you've got a lot of space to work with, which is great. However, it also means that you need to think carefully about how you're going to divide up that space. You'll want to create a layout that makes sense and maximizes the available space, while also ensuring that you have all the necessary amenities (like a bathroom, kitchenette, and sleeping area) in place.

When it comes to actually building the granny flat, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First of all, make sure you use high-quality materials that are up to code. You don't want to cut corners or use subpar materials, as this can lead to problems down the road. You should also consider hiring a professional builder or contractor to help with the project. While it may be tempting to try to tackle the project yourself, a professional can ensure that everything is done properly and safely.

Finally, remember that the devil is in the details. When you're converting a garage into a granny flat, there are a lot of small details that can make a big difference. For example, you'll want to make sure that the lighting is adequate and that there are enough power outlets throughout the space. You'll also want to consider things like insulation and soundproofing to ensure that the space is comfortable and private.

Converting a double skyline garage into a self-contained granny flat can be a great way to add some extra living space to your property. Just make sure you do your research, get the necessary permits, and plan carefully to ensure that the end result is exactly what you want. Good luck with your project!

accroul, Nov 19, 1:37am
But you haven't called him have you!He's not just the agent, he's the builder and there is the difference between the North Shore agent, and most other Skyline agents. Take it from me, he'd be happy to have a look for you & be able to give you all the details of council permit costs to turn your garage into a 'Habitable building'.

1516, Nov 19, 1:57am
Thanks Ill give it a go

elect70, Nov 19, 3:11am
May need extrabracing to comply as living area & full lining, definatley need consent,Ownpower meter& ablutions ! ,costat least$2-3 Gforconsents / inspections .Builder will know .

supernova2, Nov 22, 7:51am
Might need new floor as well unless you know/can prove that there is a damproof layer under the concrete.Is the existing floor 100mm above ground level!s there a dampproof layer under the roof! How far away from your sewer is the proposed new toilet!How much concrete cobbles etc are in the way of the new plumbing!Is the existing power cable to the shed (if any) adequate for the new loads!Will your existing house distribution board take the new load!Unfortunately what sounds like a simple job can turn into an absolute nightmare.With the new rules not sure if its a DIY job or if you might need a LBP.

There is lots of those coversions about which have been done without any sort of consent/permit etc.Its only if you have a fire or try and sell your house that you will have major problems.

Only you can decide which way you want to do it.

pete48, Nov 22, 8:00am
Assuming this is planned for your own property. There is a chance that your rates could increase by having another dwelling on your section. A discreet call to your council would confirm this (don't give your name though).Peter

muffycaz, Nov 22, 8:32am
yes u need a permit and probably about $20K

lythande1, Nov 22, 6:11pm
You sure do.

rodeoraz, Nov 23, 5:14am
Good points for us too thank you (also doing a garage conversion though not a skyline). We were aware of a few of these anyway.

Question: we have a concrete slab, my dad reckons it's pretty obvious when it doesn't have a damp-proof layer under it (he's seen a slab with the difference side by side). Ours never gets damp so I'm hopeful there is a damp-proof layer there (was built in the 70's though so maybe it wasn't standard then. It is finished to a point that I do wonder whether someone used it as a living space: it's gibbed and wallpapered, and has finished skirting boards).

What I'm wondering is, how can you prove it! We'll need to cut into the concrete to lay the plumbing for the ensuite so I guess we might 'reveal it' this way but I suppose that all depends on how far down the damp-proof layer is laid. Any info would be appreciated. Many thanks.

ebygum1, Nov 23, 5:28am
The damp proof membrane [ if there is one ] will be under the concrete,you can cut a plug out with a core drill to see what's there. If it is a free standing garage the chances are there will be nothing there. We didn't even put mesh in the floors in the 70's unless specificaly asked to.

rodeoraz, Nov 23, 5:35am
Great, thanks for the info!
The architect we engaged a while back had already pre-warned us that we might need to put down a waterproof membrane on top. On my To Do list is to talk to a concrete grind/seal/polish company to see if this is something they can do.

The garage is sort of free standing. It is technically joined to the house with a stacked carport but it was built much much later than when the house was built. For our reno we are extending into the carport and joining it all up as one living area (the garage is weatherboard like the house).

bantamus, Nov 15, 4:47pm
we looked at doing similar. as a habitable building it couldnt be diy had to be done by licensed tradey and be permitted etc