Best plastic to use?

datoofairy, Apr 22, 10:07pm
I want to close off the open sided, porch area at our back door, to make a weather-proof area to store wood over winter, as the rain often drives in there.
I was thinking of attaching a wall of clear, heavy-duty plastic across the doorway. I could attach eyelets to the sheet of plastic and attach it to the existing wooden framework with several nails and weigh down the bottom with bricks or wood.It could be easily be removed, wouldnt block out the light and would make the area almost rain-tight.
Is there such a plastic! Do you think my idea would work!We almost never use the back door over winter, only ever to go out and get wood for the fire anyway.

budgel, Apr 24, 10:11pm
Get the stuff for greenhousesit doesnt last forever though.
A more expensive option would be to get an awning manufacturer to make one up from the clear they use on boat awnings etc.

amasser, Apr 25, 2:59am
Bunnings sells such screens. Standard plastics would probably become opaque quite soon.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 25, 3:33am
Shower curtain might work for short term.

tigra, Apr 25, 3:58am
Just possibly one of the fairly heavy duty plastic tablecloths that Briscoes sell might do the job they're only about $15 Of course putting in eyelets might be the problem though you can buy small hand press units that do this

edangus, Apr 25, 4:57am
Use a tarp mate. Better off with that. Don't forget to crosshatch it to keep the noise down

maclad, May 15, 10:11am
whatever you choose to use I would be using thin strips of wood over the edges and then screw through the strips into existing timber. This will be more weather tight and won't be inclined to flap or tear as easily. Also reasonably easy to remove. You could even secure the top permanently and in the summer roll up the plastic and secure with bungee cords. Out of the way and easy to put back next winter.