Wiring a garage

kiwijo, Mar 17, 6:47pm
Does anyone know approximately what it costs to wire a double garage please!

russ18, Mar 17, 7:05pm
You would probably start from around $1k and go up from there depending on distance from you house switchboard and how the cable is to get from house to garage, number of lights and sockets you want etc etc.

kiwijo, Mar 17, 7:08pm
OK - that's not too bad :-)Thank you!

mrfxit, Mar 17, 7:29pm
More like from $250 to $2000.
There are so many variables that quoting $1000 as a start will see most ppl simply forget it.

whats in there now!
Cables
fittings
Distance to nearest house/ other powered shed
How many power points / lights & type of lights wanted
Bare roof beams (std carshed type)
Construction type of floor & wall edge's & the wall closet to the probablepower supply

russ18, Mar 17, 8:00pm
"PROBABLY start from around $1k" is not a quote. but far far more realistic that $250 - is that 2 hours, travel and materials to wire a garage!. sounds unlikely to me.

trade4us2, Mar 17, 9:39pm
I bought my own conduit which I buried, and bought a reel of wire which I threaded through the conduit. A sparky did the rest. Total cost about $600 including distribution board with circuit breakers.

killy1, Mar 17, 10:21pm
This sounds not very legal.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 10:30pm
Not legal to cover before inspection by a reg electrician but would be allowable as long as proof is provided as to cable size /depth/ cable covers etc.

Unless the regs have changed drastically recently, a home owner can lay the cables to the desired spots as long as the correct cable /switches /clips/ junctions & other protection devices (per load situation) are used & secured correctly but NOT CONNECTED at either end

like I said above, depends totally on a large number of factors as to $$

mrfxit, Mar 17, 10:32pm
If a regsparky was doing the total job from scratch . good grief man . any price is possible ;-)

DIY does have it's good points as long as the finished product complies correctly.

Regardless of "estimate or quote" mentioning 1K as a start up front scares most ppl.

It's a bit like "mentioning" that it's going to cost $30K to fully rewire a std 3 bedroom "state house" style home.
Saying it could be from $10K to 35K depending on what needs replacing & any additions done stands a far better chance of getting the job.

killy1, Mar 17, 10:34pm
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.From what trade4us has posted, I stand by my comment.Sounds a bit illegal.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 10:41pm
Yep agreed, "a bit illegal" by protocol, BUT, in his case it appears he was able toprovide good enough proof to the reg sparky about the buried cable AND the sparky did ALL of the rest of the work

killy1, Mar 17, 11:30pm
theres not many different shades of illegal.The but is the worst part.

t_naki, Mar 17, 11:56pm
If the home owner is doing the work himself then it is a registered electrical inspector that needs to view the work and sign off. A sparky only has the power to sign off work that either he has done himself.

trade4us2, Mar 18, 12:30am
All I did is to dig a trench and put the conduit in it, and thread the wire through it so it was hanging out both ends. The sparky pulled lots more wire through and clipped it under the house and installed everything else. He was able to see the conduit and its depth, and inspect all of the wire.

I do have a bit of electrical experience. A fair bit of the power in NZ still goes through the transformers that I designed and made, many years ago.

killy1, Mar 18, 1:45am
Dont you hate rules that are written for everyone but you.
trade4us has done nothing wrong, BUT, from the posts on here, and possibly we dont have the whole storey, the sparky who signed offthe CoC could be fined.

kiwijo, Mar 18, 2:00am
whats in there now!- absolutely nothing!
Cables
fittings
Distance to nearest house/ other powered shed - around five metres I would say.
How many power points / lights & type of lights wanted - I would like fluros on the ceiling and probably double power points on each wall.
Bare roof beams (std carshed type).Bare roof beams.
Construction type of floor & wall edge's & the wall closet to the probable power supply - it is a std tin garage with wooden frame and concrete floor.

pauldw, Mar 18, 2:02am
Next you'll be telling us that all electricians fully supervise their apprentices and labourers :)

russ18, Mar 18, 2:07am
kiwijo asked what it costs to wire a garage not what it costs to check DIY work, liven and certify so YES I am talking about a sparky doing the job because that's how I read the question.
$1k would only scare you if you have unrealistic expectations.

t_naki, Mar 18, 2:49am
That ould depend on their level of training. For a 3rd year apprentice supervision may be going through the job at the beginning and checking it over at the end or some jobs may not even need the sparky to visit site with him. It is all to do with the level of skill and knowledge that the apprentice shows.

kiwijo, Mar 18, 4:10am
I would be wanting a professional to do the job from start to finish.I am more than happy to provide power points, lights etc, but want a professional to do all the important bits!Electricity is not something I want to be experimenting with or playing around with.

210sback, Mar 18, 4:50am
All you do is confuse people on here with your wannabe electrical knowledge,Russ is right with a realistic estimate he made.

mrfxit, Apr 22, 3:52pm
Please be specific with what I have said wrong in this thread.