Cracks in Lawn - how to remedy?

accroul, Feb 16, 10:54pm
Each summer our lawn dries out more & more resulting in cracks that get larger each year. Some cracks are large enough to slip my hand down or roll my ankle on! I'd like to start fixing this but I'm thinking that I need to wait until autumn when the soil is less arid. I would prefer not to till the soil - for now at least, but what can I start using to improve the soil & when should I start!

zak410, Feb 16, 11:11pm
sand and water to wash it down.

mrfxit, Feb 16, 11:51pm
Concrete/ tarseal/ gravel / sand or start prying for enough water.
Other then that, pump lots of muddy topsoil down the cracks

accroul, Feb 17, 4:10am
How does sand work!

zak410, Feb 17, 6:45am
only because it makes filling the gap easy.
also cracks like this often happen on clay and sand must help for drainage through the year.

wasgonna, Feb 17, 6:55am
Yep, sand. Not off the beach though because of salt but river sand. The soil will close up during the winter when wet but the sand should still be there when cracking occurs in the summer.

It's not used on racetracks and sports fields for nothing.

accroul, Feb 17, 7:46am
Ok, so how much sand per sq/m! do I scarify before! till after! of just lay sand & leave it be!

lythande1, Feb 17, 6:33pm
It's because it's dry. Went to Long bay yesterday, giant cracks in the poor dead lawn there.it will come right once the rain starts. Unless you want to water your section, there's not really a cure.

koru67, Feb 17, 7:13pm
and for us Aucklanders (and elsewhere) this summer is hotter and drier than last year, so yes the cracks will be bigger.
Our lawn does not have cracks, but we do water our garden and occasionally the lawn gets a sprinkling in the process, we have not scalped our lawn when mowing, so it is nice and green still in most places and having grass coverage probably helps retain moisture in the soil.

issymae, Mar 12, 4:59pm
get some tips from lawn experts / how about a lawn roller over it later in year