Roof Screw & Rubber

comadi, Mar 2, 11:06pm
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/comadi/RoofScrew.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with these !
They form a good seal over the old lead head imprint, but I am a bit concerned over - 1 their paint adhesion properties, as the rubber is quite smooth & slippery, and - 2 their UV resistance.
They are made in Taiwan.
Cheers.

nicky461, Mar 2, 11:11pm
looking for someone or a site to volunteer to help with a community garden set up by colwill school in massey

comadi, Mar 2, 11:16pm
What has this got to do with roof screws !

ebygum1, Mar 2, 11:37pm
They are for fixing polycarbonate roofing,not corrugated iron,although I dont see why you can't use them on iron,apart from the painting problem as you mentioned.

russ18, Mar 2, 11:40pm
Your thumb's bent.

mrfxit, Mar 2, 11:45pm
Not a problem & even if the seals don't like paint, then all you will have isuniform lines of gray spots on your roof.

comadi, Mar 3, 12:02am
The polycarbonate ones are smaller and lighter duty, with a smaller cup, I have some left over from another project.

Hmmm spotty, I suppose not being in the flight path then it wont matter ;-)

hutchk, Mar 3, 12:29am
That's a10x25 grey EPDM dome washer, as stated above designed for polycarb sheets. They are highly UV resistant and should give you a good 10 years (made in Taiwan means they're probably decent quality). Paint however will not stick to them for very long at all. Use a 25mm bonded aluminium washer instead - a more permanent solution, and no issues with paint adhesion.

mrgts4, Mar 3, 12:29am
You can get a profiles metal washer and rubber washer under it for corrogated iron. They are bigger than those washers so will cover any rust holes left by the lead heads. Hylton Parker fasteners have them.

comadi, Mar 3, 3:11am
I gota sample of these and the larger flat Alloy washer with the black moulded rubber seal, but didn't think they give good cover on the sides of the corrugated peak, as they are too rigid to cup down on the ridge.

I thought this may be an issue with driving rain.
I got them from MSL in Hamilton. I'd say swapping them wouldn't be a problem.

squeaking, Mar 3, 7:13am
i definetly would not use these on an iron roof or even a poly roof, i have been back to a job 2 years later to replace them as they had perished due to our high U.V and that was on a poly roof, when it comes to your home dont go cheap or you will pay for it in the end!
you can get the correct screws also coloured to suit your requirements froma roofing company or try a roofing contractor who will put you on to his supplier.

comadi, Mar 3, 7:18am
So the flatter alloy / bonded rubber seal version is ok despite the minimal side of the ridge sealing !

squeaking, Mar 3, 7:30am
yes as long as the exsisting hole is not to big, also dont over tighten as the rubber seal will compress to much and split, just firm is rule of thumb, you can seal some holes or ripswith a quality sealant but i would recomend replacing the sheet

comadi, Mar 3, 7:51am
Thanks.
My iron is still in pretty good nick, just some of the lead heads have a very small rust stain around them.
I took one out and the hole is still fine.
I plan to do the whole lot, but it's a daunting job ahead of me, by the time I brass brush the surface rust and prime paint those affected.

mrgts4, Mar 3, 8:02am
Even better than the bonded alloy washer would be the profiled washer. They are shaped to the profile. You would be surprised at how rusty it may be under some of the lead heads.

comadi, Mar 3, 8:20am
Anyone got a link / picture to this profile washer !

comadi, Mar 3, 8:41am
Found them at EDL -
KL Bonded Profile Washer Aluminium
Item Code 70WABKL
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc415/comadi/Bonded-Profile-Washer-KL-Aluminium.png

mrgts4, Apr 2, 6:17am
You can also get a metal washer that you put a rubber washer under, rather than the Ali bonded washer. I'm sure they would be cheaper than the Ali washer