For tomato newbies like me

susievb, Mar 3, 11:46pm
I had holes in my tomatoes, and so googled, I found this with good pictures so it may help other newbies with tomatoes problems.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/visual-guides/tomato-fruit-problems.aspx

dibble35, Mar 3, 11:58pm
That is a good website. now I know why the crown of my larger tomatoes was splitting

lythande1, Mar 4, 1:46am
Pretty good, there are lots of sites with pictures, some with leaves, some fruit, some both.
If you google you issue then choose images, then go to that page, you can find them easily.

southerngurl, Mar 5, 6:03am
I figured out my issue thanks to good, it was cos the fruit were sitting near where the saucer overflowed and was getting waterrot

cantabman1, Mar 6, 9:20am
I grow my toms in homemade compost each year.I buy lots of different varieties from markets and plant shops. Once they get going, I will give them a general sray against mildrews and fungus and later a spray against catipillars. I still get the odd issues, but usually get to pick some very nice fruit of different sorts.

elliehen, Mar 6, 9:37am
I grew tomatoes in the USA and recognise that gigantic caterpillar called the hornworm with the frilly white bits on its back.They were the terror of my tomatoes and so big they put me off putting my hands into the vines.Thank goodness we don't have those in NZ!

matthews4, Apr 7, 6:11pm
I also grow my toms in home made compost - never spray.As plants grow, take off laterals, tie up.later, remove lower leaves, to stop things splattering up from rain - what is that!.Still removing lower leaves, pick toms when partly red, will ripen on deck.plant then grows smaller toms on.Have great crops - have been growing them for about 50 years.have had a great crop this year, from less plants than I usually put in.