Will these make a dense hedge?

gabbysnana, Feb 25, 7:33am
mine are growing a metre a year but the small silver leaf one, NATIVE PITTOSPORUM TENUIFOLIUM are growing at 2 metres a year

dibble35, Feb 25, 8:25am
They are reasonably quick growing. If you want them to form a dense headge then you have to keep on top of trimming them. They tend to get leggy/stalky as they get older, and they get bigger than the 4X2m that they say in their auction. but if you are trimming them into a hedge it wont matter. Check around for price to, not saying its not a good price. but I can say we sell ours for cheaper than that (run out at moment) and we are a retail nursery.so that is not really a wholesale price.

secretmissy1, Apr 12, 2:01pm
Qst: Icould suggest quite a few good hedging varieties, how big do you want your hedge to grow!What is your soil type e.g clay, sand!
There are better specimans than that species for a hedge it just depends if you want a shelter belt or a ornamental 2m hedge!My view is from a landscape designer point of view.

Coastal 1.5-3mtry griselinia littoralis - fast growing, lush native.
If you like pittosporums then try Mountain Green or Silver Sheen these look fabulous clipped and are smaller leaf which give a immaculate clipped appearance.

Another sandy condition hedge plant is corokia which can grow to 2m and looks superb when kept clipped plus you have many colours to choose from.

Myrsine australis is another great hardy hedge plant that I have discovered is far hardier than pittosporum species in many soil types, grows in many conditions, wet or dry, and can bounce back after heavy pruing to wood and be lush the next 3 months with no evidence of hard pruning.Clips well.