Identify a grape vine?

family007, Nov 10, 11:45pm
My daughter has moved onto a farm and found a vine in the glasshouse of which we can't quite identify. Its rambled around and upwards and is quite leafy. There are tendrils and from the photos, maybe some flowers but not so sure! Heres a link which you have to cut and paste to view
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522269_10151092071522750_405355386_n.jpg
This shows the leaves, quite different for a grape, which makes me wonder if its one of those wild ones you can't eat!

family007, Nov 10, 11:48pm

family007, Nov 10, 11:49pm
and one more pic showing the whole plant
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/r90/396328_10151091998542750_780020673_n.jpg

We'd be so grateful for help identifying this plant!

lythande1, Nov 11, 12:02am
It is a grape. What variety is another thing, you may have to wait until it fruits.
It badly needs feeding.

undecyded, Nov 11, 12:05am
Hey lythande1,
The daughter here :) What would you recommend feeding it with!
The glasshouse was so overgrown with weeds etc when we moved in (around 2 trailer loads of them) so I'd say the poor thing has been neglected for a long time and I have no experience with grapes

lythande1, Nov 11, 2:59am
Loads of compost and manure, just the usual. Personally I'd dig it out and put it along a nice sunny fence or frame. North facing.
It doesn't need a glasshouse, it will restrict it.
You can dig them out, it may not fruit until the next year though but it won't kill it.
They like lots of sun, it will survive frost in winter - look at Central Otago. Full of them.
I had one years ago, same situation except it was behind a garage, made a rame along vege garden, dug it out (lost a part of main root), replanted, it got it's nourishment from the vege garden mainly, had the vine for the next 18 years, got loads off it after it was moved.

stevee6, Nov 11, 4:13am
Imo at this point I'd just give it a good and regular liquid feed, in the hopes it bears some fruit this year. If you choose to keep it and want to move it, take 2/3 off it around April, dig wide around the roots(you'll also need to dig deep) and shift it to a site where you've already put up a frame to support it. Don't expect much from it for a few years, but don't give up either. We moved one and thought it had died, but never got around to taking the stump out. Two years later, it sent out a shoot in spring, and is now a happy healthy fruiting vine(turned out to be bog standard Albany Surprise - a prince amongst outdoor edible grapes).

undecyded, Nov 11, 5:39am
I don't think moving it is an option as the stump of the plant is actually half in the glasshouse and half outside it so not sure if it can be moved without moving the frame, will have a decent look tomorrow :)

Am in the process of digging the glasshouse over and adding compost and have knicked some sheep manure from the paddock next door, put it in a big rubbish bin and filled with water so it is in liquid form so will make sure I put some around it.
The stump has a really old look to it so wouldn't be suprised if it has been there a long time (we are in the original farm house on a dairy farm)

Will be interesting to see what type it is if it fruits this year.

les6, Nov 11, 6:07am
most glasshouse grapes are growen like that with the stock or stump outside and the plant trained through,otherwise they don`t get a true dormant season as its too warm for too long.you could take some hardwood cuttings next year when its dormant and grow them on in case it dies.

breness, Nov 11, 8:03am
Agree with les6. I would take cuttings but not just hardwood.It certainly looks leggy enough to even take a couple of cuttings now. Poor thing is straggly looking as it is probably looking for more light than it is getting at present.Good luck with it. If anyone wants to take a wee wager I would say it's a white grape by the pale smallish leaves.

lythande1, Nov 11, 6:12pm
Well they certainly go dormant here in Auckland where it isn't that cold in winter.

nondescript, Nov 13, 11:48pm
It looks like the green or pale pink variety . The green one I had like this was called Italia and was prone to mildew :(

les6, Nov 14, 5:05am
all the good eating muscats are prone to mildew,a glasshouse situation would increase the risk.

speeedy1, Nov 14, 10:15am
Spray with Napisan or any 'oxy clean' type product --

les6, Nov 15, 5:48am
sulphur would be better and would help deal to any spider mites etc that might be in the glasshouse as well.

speeedy1, Nov 6, 10:15am
The trusted age-old remedy, flowers of sulphur!.