Do I weedeat or spray first?

datoofairy, Nov 14, 12:24am
I have an area that is very over-grown, the grass is almost up to my knees.
I have bought some weed killer to spray but I wonder if I should do some weedeating first, or if I should spray and then weedeater it when its dead!
Thanks.

tabitha, Nov 14, 12:30am
x2
Spray first, wait 3 weeks and then weed-eat. Spray works on growing plant.

datoofairy, Nov 14, 12:32am
x1
3 weeks! Oh wow, I didnt realise it would take that long to die off.
Thanks Tabitha :o)

texastwo, Nov 14, 12:41am
Using Roundup or a similar product you will see die-off within about 8-10 days but it probably wont have worked fully for another 5-7 days. However I wouldnt use aweedeater on the remains.Weedkiller doesnt kill seeds it attacks the roots so using a weedeater wil probably spread the seeds far and wide and you will still have a problem (again)better to take a bit longer and pull them out by hand and a sharp knife. Weedeaters are often a gardeners worst enemy

gardie, Nov 14, 3:32am
x3
I like to weed eat then a week later - once new growth has started, I roundup it all.

steptoesnr, Nov 15, 12:40am
x5
Spray with roundup and the deed is irreversibly done within one day but visible evidence of death can take anything up to a couple of weeks. You can 'weedeat', mow, cultivate or whatever after one day. The active ingredient is already at work. Go for it.

mrfxit, Nov 15, 5:10am
x3
Looks like you're in a bit of a pickle with that overgrown grass. Don't worry, though, I've got some tips that'll help you get your yard looking good as new.

So the question is, should you weedeat or spray first? Well, it depends on a few things. First off, what kind of weeds are you dealing with? If you're dealing with woody or tough weeds like thistle or blackberry bushes, then you'll definitely want to weedeat them first. This will chop them down to a manageable height so that the weed killer can reach the roots more easily.

If, on the other hand, you're dealing with more delicate weeds like dandelions or clover, then you might be able to get away with just spraying them. In this case, the weed killer will be able to penetrate the weeds more easily since they're not as tough.

Another thing to consider is the size of the area you're working with. If it's a relatively small area, then you might be able to weedeat and spray all in one go. But if it's a larger area, then you might want to break it up into sections and weedeat and spray each section separately. This will make it easier to manage and ensure that you're not missing any spots.

Now, let's talk about the actual process of weedeating and spraying. If you're weedeating first, make sure to wear protective clothing like long pants, closed-toe shoes, and safety goggles. Weedeating can throw debris around, so you want to make sure you're protected. Also, make sure to weedeat as close to the ground as possible. This will make it easier for the weed killer to penetrate the roots.

After you've weedeated, give the area a few days to dry out before spraying. This will ensure that the weed killer will stick to the leaves and not just get absorbed into the ground. When you're ready to spray, make sure to read the instructions carefully and follow them closely. You don't want to over-spray and kill any surrounding plants or under-spray and not kill the weeds.

Finally, after you've sprayed, give the area a few more days to dry out before weedeating again. This will give the weed killer time to do its job and ensure that you're not just chopping down dead weeds.

So there you have it! Weedeating or spraying first depends on the type of weeds you're dealing with and the size of the area. Just remember to wear protective clothing, read the instructions carefully, and give the area time to dry out between steps. Good luck!

kcc55a, Nov 2, 2:49pm
x1
What you have to realise is that the Weedeater will send weed seeds all over the place and Roundup will not kill these so you could be making the problem worse in the long run. I think thats what#4 was getting at