Can I have a wedding ready garden by Xmas next yr

poonee, Jan 26, 7:07pm
I have semi decided I might get married at home around Xmas time next year.We are dairy farmers and our house is part of our job and doesn't belong to us therefore I wouldn't want ( if I can help it) to go buying a lot of expensive perennials, roses etc. I'm after ideas of some nice bright bushy space fillers that will look gorgeous and countryfied. Also things a can start growing from seed, that would look great after just one year

agens, Jan 26, 7:58pm
If I were you I would find someone in the district who you trust and like for some advice.If they called in they would see what if anything needs pruning back and would be some quick ideas for growing.Remember you need some background greens like hydrangeas, they can replant.Beg borrow steal.If you are not sure if they will survive the heat, first establish in the pot.You can sometimes get free pots, in the recylcing at some garden centres. Mass plantings look better, ie a line of cosmos from seed.

poonee, Jan 26, 8:07pm
The picture down the driveway is a long line of hydrangeas but they just don't seem to do very well( this is our first year on this farm so not sure if they get better or not)should they be big and flowering by now!

We are not far from the cast and get a lot of strong winds and rain too

flier3, Jan 26, 8:17pm
I think you already have a lovely back-drop with the existing shubs and trees.When my son wanted to have his wedding in my garden, there were few (if any) gardens in place.In the four months I had to prepare for the 'Day', I dug over five new gardens, and put in mainly camellias to anchor the garden. (I started in a very wet August and dug something every day, rain or shine. Then I mass-planted seedlings of cosmos, gypsophilia, petunias and other annuals and planted up masses of hanging baskets and other pots of colour, to put into any spaces which needed filling - 'just in case'.All-in-all I had 50 (can't believe it now!) baskets and pots, but wouldn't do that many if I had to do it again.I also had a full-time job at the time.The garden looked stunning - just a shame the wedding was called off 10 days before the due date.LOLGood luck!You have plenty of time - so don't worry about the time factor.

flier3, Jan 26, 8:18pm
PS:I did sit down and draw up a plan of what i wanted and then factored in the time the seedlings would take to full bloom etc.

poonee, Jan 26, 9:26pm
Just wondering, is there any benefit in planting perennials now or would you get the same amount of growth if you waited till after Xmas. Just incase I spot any bargins

flier3, Jan 27, 12:03am
Just my opinion, but I would figure out what I wanted to put in, and do that later this year, when it's a cooler time to plant.Maybe to some 'sleuthing' on the net.I pored over books I have here, and read plant labels etc.you could get cheap plants or cuttings etc and get them going in pots now, though, with plenty of watering.Good luck - I'd love to see photos whenyou get going.Often the hardest thing to do is actually start!

poonee, Jan 27, 12:38am
I must admit I'm a bit excited about doing it. Would love to hear from some Deep South gardeners who can tell me what tolerates the wind which is also quick growing etc

lythande1, Jan 27, 1:41am
Hmm, why not just go up to Glenham and get married there!
Garden already in place and not far at all.

Pics: http://www.mapleglen.co.nz/scenes.html

poonee, Jan 27, 4:58am
Well we have great scenery at home on the farm and our horses that we want photos taken with, also handy having all the comforts of home etc.marquee on the back lawn with catering.no traveling etc etc the list of pluses for me goes on and on

scout_6001, Jan 27, 6:16am
You already have a lovely backdrop in place.I think I would purchase some dahlia tubers next year, Park Princess is a nice compact pink plant which would go well in front of what you have, it may need some soil preparation but generally dahlias are quite hardy, and can be bought cheaply through growers, I have seen them here on Trademe too.Cosmos is another easy one to grow from seed and is a good height to use as a backdrop as well.In front of them I would plant annuals, where you live would depend on when you plant the seedlings out, definitely after the frosts.I would go for three different coloured annuals, and plant alternatively.Maybe white alyssum, with pink candy tuft and pale blue lobelia!I think it is a good idea to plant in pots as well.grow them where they are best suited weather wise, and on the day of the wedding they can be moved to darker spots in the garden and brighten up that area.

jodes10, Jan 28, 1:48am
Californian Poppies grown from seed are a great colourful space-filler. Wildflower seeds scattered around might also suit the country setting. And Hollyhocks grow easily from seed for a bit of height.

mkbooks, Jan 28, 8:46pm
Lots of perennial seeds available on TMe- also plant sellers who sell cheap seedlings-hham-afford1bleplant-
s. Scatter seeds + see what comes up. School galas-op shops- usually have plants. Put an add in local paper asking to buy cuttings-plants. Hydrangeas aren't doing well this year-not enough rain-mulch them

arabelle, Jan 29, 12:48am
Sunflowers grown in pots so they dont get wind damage, do the little ones. smiling faces add to any vista
mulch your hydrangeas with good calf shed shavings NOW so they are right for the time. make up a compost brew with fish heads and comfrey etc and really feed everything the month before.plus water well. so if you made up a large area with stuff potted sunk into a sawdust areaon some polythene sheeting,then easy to hose and feed etc and do the touch up pruning then easy to take the pot and plant out the week of wedding.

poonee, Jan 29, 1:19am
Our hydrangeas are just starting to flower now which would be a month too late for our wedding, could it be because we are down south

flier3, Feb 14, 5:09pm
I'm excited for you and these suggestions have whetted your appetite, methinks!