Putty in windows,

wildwest3, Jan 16, 3:45am
I'm removing old putty, and replacing with new, however the new stuff doesn't stick! I've brushed and sanded the area, kneaded thenew putty, which is only months old, I've even added linseed. Anybody know what the cause may be!

bob.82, Jan 16, 3:49am
How about giving Bunnings or somewhere similar a ring and ask for advice!

malone4, Jan 16, 3:56am
doesnt stick to the window or sash!

elect70, Jan 16, 4:10am
Paintthetimberit absorbs the oil if not sealed .

zak410, Jan 16, 4:33am
That's it.

fordkiwi27, Jan 16, 4:44am
ive given up on the fast dry puttys. i use pal filler now!

doorboy, Jan 16, 5:08am
Best bet is to visit a local glazier and buy a small amount off them. Far easier to use and lasts longer.

gabbysnana, Jan 16, 5:16am
you have to work putty in your hand in balls like needing dough to soften it up and make it sticky before you use it. Then you roll it in a sausage shape and place it in your palm and work it into the area with your thumb, then trim it off with a putty knife then dont touch it till it sets.

tex-tickle, Jan 16, 6:13am
Has to be oil based paint and primer also.

stevo2, Jan 16, 6:29am
I've glazed thousands of windows, the putty has always stuck whether primed or not as long as the timber is dry.
Try sanding your putty knife with wet and dry sandpaper because if its not smooth enough, it will pull the putty out as soon as you have smoothed it.
Also if you have added to much linseed, it will become sticky and fall out. You can firm it up again by mixing in whiting powder (cheap) if its to sticky.
You can also brush the glass with whiting to remove the excess putty smearing and finger prints when finished.

aragorn2003, Jan 16, 6:34am
Yahzee

imagine4, Jan 16, 7:07am
thts the one.

wildwest3, Jan 24, 10:02am
So I've worked it in my hand, rolled it into a sausage, and pressed it in with my thumb, it still looks like it hasn't bonded, and peels out with very little pulling.