Whos Growning Atlantic giant pumpkins

popped_out, Nov 14, 2:46am
we are waiting for ours to germinate, they have been in 10 days, how long does it take!

helianthus, Nov 14, 3:01am
I tried a couple of years ago. Got only one pumpkin that weighed about 500 grams and tasted disgusting! (Not that I want to discourage you)!

mottly, Nov 14, 3:40am
they aren't for eating - they're a novelty or stock food only plant.

Growing Atlantic Giant pumpkins can take anywhere from 100 to 120 days from the time the seeds are planted to harvest. The exact length of time will depend on various factors, including the weather conditions, the specific growing techniques used, and the specific variety of Atlantic Giant pumpkin being grown. Generally speaking, Atlantic Giant pumpkins require a long growing season with warm temperatures and consistent moisture to reach their full potential size. It is important to carefully monitor and manage the growing conditions to ensure the best possible results.

popped_out, Nov 14, 5:44am
I don't want to eat it, its for a competition. My friends pig can eat it when Im done. That's if we can even get them to germinate!

frank398, Nov 14, 6:54am
They need very rich ground.Heaps manure,and water,water,water.Place pumpkins when growing on boards,to keep of ground.If its for a competion,you will need to choose 1 or 2 to concentrate on.One plant should be plenty.

mark_g, Nov 14, 7:14am
Depends on how old seed is. About 1-2 weeks from memory. After 15 days I would be having a gentle poke about in the seed raising mix to see what's going on. Fresh seed I think I've had pop up in just over a week, but that's in seed raising mix in my hot water cupboard.

popped_out, Nov 14, 9:15am
Should I bring them inside! They are in pots against the house where the concrete warms up. Maybe its just too cold for them outside. There was a frost too in the first 2 days of planting them.

mottly, Nov 14, 9:10pm
yep, bring them inside to keep a steady temp

happs1, Nov 14, 11:24pm
I have 14 plants in the ground. Im so excited to see how they turn out.

2young1, Nov 15, 10:11am
i tried growing one for a competition few years ago.it got to size of watermelon and then went to check one day and it was rotten underneath.sooooo. be sure to put a board underneath to keep off the ground. hot humid rainy week did a lot of damage

mottly, Nov 15, 11:50pm
over watering will also do that :(

thedevil1, Nov 17, 12:40am
i grow mine along the edges of the effluent pond on the farm where i work.
they grow huge.

popped_out, Nov 17, 8:54am
they are sprouting finally, after 13 days.

jules., Nov 18, 8:53am
My daughter has entered the Mitre 10 Mega kids compitition, so far so good. We have the ground prepared with loads of chook poo, sheep pellets, compost, rotted grass clippings with loads of worms. The plants have been grown inside and are almost ready to go in the ground. She is 10 and has been reading all about growing these giants, so heres hoping!