Best multipurpose sanding tool for woman?

pukus, Jan 17, 7:41pm
Hi, I'm going to start renovating my house, and although I have had some experience before in sanding back paint on walls and on window frames, I now don't have access to the sanders we used.
Which wouldbe a good brand of sander for me to purchase, and is tehere any kind of sander that would suit both wall sanding and detail sanding, or am I dreaming!
Thankyou

pukus, Jan 17, 7:42pm
And is 150 grit suitable to use on gib walls that are in pretty good condition but just need a slight rough up before painting.

lythande1, Jan 18, 3:12am
Avoid the cheap ones if you want it to last.
Belt sanders are larger and tiring on the wrists, overkill really for what you want. Just a small orbital one will do.

Your DIY shop will advise you on the sandpaper you need.

bugin, Jan 18, 4:44am
x1
I find most women I meet are already quite a smooth finish and only need the occaisional waxing to achieve a delightful patina .

zak410, Jan 18, 4:49am
180/220 grit sand paper on a pole sander, or else on a flat 'pad' for the walls.

for the details, check electric sanders, random orbitals sanders are great for skirtings, architraves and like, some do smaller details.

planespotterhvn, Jan 18, 6:25am
Don't sand at all. Use a heat gun and scraper and finish off with a Linbide Tungsten carbide blade hand scraper. It gives a finish better than sanding.

skipper42, Jan 18, 7:04am
A Man

ayjay1, Jan 18, 8:42pm
Really!
I find that hard to believe

kp11, Jan 18, 9:21pm
hehe.cute!

kp11, Jan 18, 9:42pm
My best buys forindoor paint prep, have been my Black n Decker 4in1 Mega Mouse, a pole with flat head / stick on sandpaper strips for the walls & a smaller one with grip handle with stick on sandpaper.Easy.
Probably easier / faster tools around but for a girlie doing it herself theyre all i needed :)

punkinthefirst, Jan 18, 10:57pm
I've never found my tools ever to notice my gender (female), once i learn how to operate them correctly. I have, however, noticed that badly made tools are often overly cheap, though not always, and that badly made tools are always harder to use.

pukus, Jan 19, 9:37pm
lol I knew I was setting myself up for a remark like that, but what I meant was, I picked up one of the larger width sanders in Mega10 and far out it was super heavy! Now, I'm no wimpy lightweight, but that would've killed my shoulders on a ladder reaching up. I loved your comment tho :) funny :)

What brand tools do you recommend! I too, would rather spend a little more on something that can multi-task and last than buy cheap and it crap out midway thru a job.

Have an old villa, so large rooms and high stud.

Thanks for advice, in advance :)

pukus, Jan 19, 9:39pm
Thankyou kp, i will research that megamouse tool :)

pukus, Jan 19, 9:44pm
have used heat gun and carbide scraper on window sills before, will kepe that inmind as it does peel back the paint pretty quik, just have to be careful not to dig into the wood too much. would lightly sand after that tho. thanks.

jkp58, Jan 20, 4:06am
boshmakitadewalt are all good brands used by tradies they will out last the cheapies

punkinthefirst, Jan 20, 6:22am
Well, my tools are all over 10 years old, and so any advice I give you might be out of date. I think they're a mixture of Bosch and Makita, though, for what it's worth. I went and found an old guy who loves woodwork inour local Mitre 10, and got advice from him. Sadly, he's retired now, but you may have a similar person locally. Beware the salesman who wants to sell you the most expensive item - or the cheapest.Check out how the tool feels in your hand. Pointless buying something that's too heavy, as you point out, or a tool where theOn/Off button is so awkward to get at that you cuss every time you use it.
My remark about gender came from when my husband died 18 years ago, and I had to quickly learn to use a load of tools I'd never used before, in order to work on our farm. It was a very steep learning curve, even though I've always been a woodworker.

favouriteseller, Jan 20, 6:49am
for home use just buy something cheap
I repair power tools and the biggest common mistake people make is thinking they need to help the power tool do the work so they lean in on it
then it over heats
just a light to medium, but firm pressure is all thats required in usuall Circumstances
expensive ones are for everyday use in the work place and then even they don't last if used incorrectly

gammelvind, Jan 30, 3:55pm
For home use I have had a really good run with Ozito tools from Bunnings. Come with a 2 year warranty, though never had to make a claim.