WANTED: Old Hardies Roof Shingles

gypsyguy, Jan 3, 5:54am
Just thought i'd post this here in case anyone has some old ones lying around they'd like to get rid of. I need the original ones, made over 30 years ago, with the dreaded asbestos in them. Yes, i know about asbestos, but slotting in a few 2nd hand shingles is a lot cheaper than re-roofing???I think they're about 600 long by 300 wide, with corners cut off at 45 degrees. Cheers to all, and all the best for 2013!

gypsyguy, Jan 3, 7:02am
Also meant to say I'm happy to collect and pay for them. Prefer Auckland area.

pete48, Jan 4, 4:14am
Have you thought about buying some hardiflex and cutting to size! I think you can but it in part sheets.Peter

nchun, Jan 4, 9:27am
Do you mean Hardi-Shake roof tiles! They were a cementous based product, did not contain asbestos. Grey textured tiles that delimated and became brittle. I've got some of these here.

gypsyguy, Jan 4, 10:29pm
Thanks for your replies, guys, much appreciated.
That could be them. Roofing experts tell me there were two materials they were made of.
1. The first ones had asbestos in them, thus were discontinued. However they made a good roof, like asbestos does, remember the old Super 6 corrugated stuff, still going strong.
2. Then they made them out of other stuff that delaminated, and Hardies had to issue recalls and re-roof some houses.
Mine are the original ones apparently. They're definitely not delaminating, but a couple have cracked, a couple have slid away etc.
You can cut new ones with Hardies soffit board, but then without asbestos in them they don't last in the weather unless you seal and paint the whole roof, about a $15k job.
Thus, i'd rather try and find some original asbestos Hardies shingles, or shakes, whatever they're called.
Cheers, and keep the suggestions coming!

trade4us2, Jan 5, 4:05am
There are two types of Hardies sheet, one for outdoor use and the other is useless.

gypsyguy, Jan 5, 9:00am
I see, thanks.

nchun, Jan 5, 1:08pm
See how you get on. If you want a few tiles of my Hardishakes you can contact me on 0274040886. I am in Hutt Valley. Cheers!

gypsyguy, Jan 5, 6:04pm
Thanks! Appreciate the offer, i'll see what we decide to do.

gypsyguy, Jan 6, 7:31pm
Bump.

Anyone else out there got any old ones they need to get rid of!

guest, May 24, 2:10pm
you need to be carefull as if you have do gooder neighbours as it is illegal to refix any asbestos products and as they come in a sheet of 5 with big 60mm nails used it is very hard to repair without stripping from the top down or make up a tin slip to go behind then just glue the front face in for the asthetics