Concrete with fiberglass

bohemian4, Jan 14, 6:20am
We are having our concrete foot paths and part of a concrete drive replaced. Our original intention is to use steel mesh and 100mm concrete. A friend has told me that we can use concrete with fibreglass instead of the mesh. Does anyone know. Is it an cheaper option and what will the surface be like.Thanks.

gabbysnana, Jan 14, 6:32am
The surface is smooth, i only have it in small slabs that airconditioners are attached too. More expensive than ordinary bags of cement mix, dont know what a truck would cost.

jersey, Jan 14, 6:49am
its rubbish stay with the mesh

tweake, Jan 14, 9:30am
i havn't heard that its rubbish.

can't remember if you have to make it a bit thicker.
no doubt it comes down what its being used for.
cost wise it can work out cheaper due to being far quicker to do.

skin1235, Jan 14, 8:41pm
its a perfectly good product, not sure on the price but when you equate to the cost of laying mesh it was a lot cheaper to use the fibre, and yes they do it in bags now, for DIY at most outlets

it is glass fibre and can cause irritation, follow the directions properly, including any after laying treatment

I've used in 27 mpa cowshed yards, no increase in thickness, no mesh, its strong enough to take 40 tonne trucks driving across it

martin11, Jan 15, 12:28am
We had Fiberglass reinforced concrete in our terraces and it was useless and cracked even before the earthquakes here . Its was not worth the extra cost when it was done should have used a heavy mesh .

tweake, Jun 13, 9:01am
i suspect it would have cracked with the mesh.
a lot of it is down to the concrete mix rather than the fiber or steel.
also down to use, some things its not suitable.

i think it may even be plastic strands they use now rather than glass.