Expensive paint

jh34, Jul 29, 8:53pm
I'm repainting a bedroom. I decided to use the same color as before as it was part of an interior decorators scheme (even though I didn't like it that much). It turned out to be quite expensive because it has a pastel base?
I bought it at Mitre 10 Resene Zylone Sheen 4L $121.13 (I got 15% off).
I'm not surprised at the price of paint so much but I didn't realize there was a base issue to consider?

mummy708, Jul 29, 9:48pm
I've bought resene paint from a resene shop before and had a bigger discount than that using my resene card for a discount. Also look in their mistints section. I once painted a kitchen and laundry for $40. That was for a 4 litre can

jh34, Jul 30, 12:43am
The problem was dithering over colour. I have a vague notion I got a surprise with that colour last time (15 years ago).

I think there is a good case for a monotone: a lot easier to put on due to overlapping. You get an untidy edge where two colours meet.

I see the Resene prices here [120]
http://www.resene.co.nz/pdf/retailpricelist.pdf
I might have got it $7 cheaper at Resene.

chris.kingston, Jul 30, 2:32am

tahnasha, Nov 9, 6:40am
I've always got my paint at trade prices, the retail prices are ridiculous. Last time I went into the paint shop for something I took my brother in law with me and said "Hi, this is my painter and we're looking for some paint, I'm redecorating." When it was time to pay, the retail assistant said to my brother in law, "so you're a painter? Yep. That's how I get trade prices. Haven't paid full price is about 15 years.

And then I moved to Australia, and walked into the shop there and said "Hi, I got trade price in NZ, can I get it here." Yep, sure thing. Plus it's heaps cheaper here for the same thing.