Any one growing/grown yams? tips please

floss34, Oct 10, 1:00am
Just purchased some yams from the vege shop that are sprouting in the hope they will grow more yams for me. Ive heard they are like oxalis so plant them where you want them to be forever. anything else?

thea4, Oct 10, 1:52am
Hi Just like potatoes in the ground or in a deep container, I grew them in a container last season and there were a few very small ones that left so have added more soil to cover them.
They are very nice roast with meat.

charie4, Oct 10, 6:03am
Look up OKA and you will find out about them-they are not even related to yams even though that is what they are called in NZ they are related to oxalis.
http://downtheplot.com/oca.php

annies3, Oct 10, 6:26am
we plant them like potatoes in a trench, and cover them with good soil, we never mould them up like potatoes though because the one and only time we did this they disappeared never to be seen again ! they do self sow but as we always move our vegetables to a different position in the garden each season they are shifted as well, let them grow for the full season only lift them when the tops have died off as you want to use them they keep well in the ground, they also last for ages in the fridge and freeze well. Ours are prone to being eaten by some thing in the garden, but apart from the chewed piece they are still usable, just trim them. Very good vegetable to have.

mothergoose_nz, Oct 10, 6:28am
let the tops die down and leave for a month before digging. the tubers do their growing then

arabelle, Oct 11, 3:07am
I have mine in a permanent place and no problems, I just take what I want remove any obviously diseased ones then cover it up, throw a barrow or two of manure on top and leave until June. Do cover with netting IF you have hens they will dig to china to get to them. IF I buy any at all, I then save the ends and just plant them, so I got the golden and red ones. Certainly a lazy/busy gardeners plant.

bluefrog2, Oct 14, 1:39am
Harvest them in Winter when the leaves die down. To get rid of volunteers, dig up any you see sprouting in the "wrong" spot. Dig them up immediately, before they grow new tubers.

They don't need as much earthing up as potatoes. And I don't bother to fertilise them either. They're meant to fix their own nitrogen, like legumes.
When you harvest, put them in a bulb basket or wire mesh over a large bucket or tub, and spray with a hose to wash off the mud. The mud should wash off easily leaving shiny tubers.

bev00, Oct 14, 12:21pm
recycling .

kaylin, Oct 16, 7:03am
I planted mine, and harvested before the leaves died. They took 9 months to grow and boy where there hundreds! I planted 1 bag, and harvested 6 full ice cream containers.

Chooks LOVE them. Adored the leaves, so if you have chooks you will really have to net them off.

books4nz, Oct 17, 9:23am
I think I've read somewhere that they're best dug after a frost, that the flavour is better then. anyone know if that's correct?

annies3, Aug 29, 3:41am
Yes true, most root vegetables increase sugar content when frosted, not sure if this is a good thing in todays low sugar world ! but they do taste better. :)