Nz natives from cuttings help please

anne1955, Nov 4, 5:48am
I am having to leave my last property this week so wondered if a couple of trees the native birds there love names unknown I can take cutting of in the hope they might grow. Do I take older wood or newer? They are deciduace (sp) thanks Anne

aeromo, Nov 4, 6:01am
Could be Kowhai. Do they have yellow flowers? There aren't many deciduous natives.
They grow from seeds but seeds need preparing.

doug57, Nov 4, 6:06am
if you can't take cuttings, you could take a photo of them into garden centre so you know which species they are. Might be easier to plant a young tree in new garden if you could buy one.

zak410, Nov 4, 6:44am
I'm not sure about growing natives from cutting but why not? many things start that way.

I think water tank's water is better than town water.

Also I think adding a twig from a specie that can easily root in the water can help. I use flame tree for that but poplar or willow would do.

And I use newer, but dormant wood for the cutting.

dottyone1, Aug 9, 12:08pm
Take cuttings from strong new growth and put in water that has had willow fronds in it or willow leaves. Much cheaper than the growth powder stuff, Use good secaturs for cuttings and you should have a very good strike rate. Good luck Also only leave one leaf on twig or if a large leaf cut in half,