Plumber or Builder?

mrsrickp, Aug 14, 7:21pm
So, we have the original 1970's formica shower box. now replacing it with a nice sparkly plastic box and glass door. Do we need a plumber, builder or both to do the job? Some friends have said both, others just the one!

hesian, Aug 14, 7:26pm
When we did this - two different places - we needed both but plumbers both had someone they used.

mrsrickp, Aug 14, 8:10pm
I have also done a search on here about shower domes. has anyone had any experience with these. wouldn't you get condensation dripping on your head!

hmck, Aug 14, 9:17pm
Nope - steam is caused by hot water hitting cold air - because it warms up quick under a shower dome there's not much steam. They come with instructions on how to use anyway - and it's the best $300 I have spent on my house.

issymae, Aug 14, 9:26pm
does not drip on you, drips down sides, warm in shower box so you don't want to get out in hurry

ed65, Aug 14, 10:19pm
Our builder removed the old shower, prepped the area for the new one (checked for leaks, put up new jib, etc), a professional shower installer came in to assemble and install the new shower lining/walls/tray, and a plumber installed the tapware.

We had a steam stopper which is slightly different from a shower dome as it just sits on top and you lift it off when you want to clean the dust off. With a shower dome it's permanently attached to your shower unit. Love the steam stopper but you have to be vigilant about airing out the shower afterwards as with a 'lid' on top the unit's more susceptible to developing mould. Beats having drips running down the bathroom walls though :-)

stevo2, Aug 15, 3:26am
1- Best get a builder to do your renovation work and he will normally get his plumber to do the plumbing - unless you prefer to use your plumber.
2- We also have a showerdome and they are BRILLIANT. I would certainly put one in again.
The secret is to close the door when you get out of the shower and then leave it open when you leave the bathroom.
Our fan could not keep up with the steam before we put in the showerdome and now we dont even turn the fan on and we absolutely NO steam

mrsrickp, Oct 27, 8:10am
Thanks stevo2. much appreciated info about the shower dome. We are currently a very steamy bathroom!