Builder due to start tomorrow

Page 1 / 3
cappuccina, Nov 27, 7:52am
Having a new deck installed tomorrow.Got builder from builders crack with good reviews.Just got email to say they are starting tomorrow and can i leave a key so they can have power and bathroom.This is the first mention of this. I have outside power and assumed that blokes use a tree.

I'm not happy about letting them loose in my house when I am at work all day.This is the first time any workman has asked for a key and I would never normally agree to it cos I am uber safety conscious.

Is this normal practise and are people more trusting than me generally!

firefly001, Nov 27, 8:03am
they may need to do number twos.

cappuccina, Nov 27, 8:05am
Not in my loo!

countrybumpkinz, Nov 27, 8:22am
I would email back and say Power source outside, thanks.Wouldn't want to let strangers through our house while I wasn't here either.

fordkiwi27, Nov 27, 8:31am
thanks to target.

tamsim, Nov 27, 8:33am
I personally have no problem with this. Although I am trusting. Would you rather they shit in your toilet or in your garden!

zak410, Nov 27, 8:34am
All my customers give me their keys, most tell me to help myself to tea or coffee,
don??

russ18, Nov 27, 8:35am
How ridiculous, expecting people to work at your house all day without access to a toilet or being able to even make a coffee.

tamsim, Nov 27, 8:36am
Yes, I do offer the use of the coffee machine and stereo too. Sometimes I even make them a coffee!

cappuccina, Nov 27, 8:41am
If i was at home i would be ok with them coming in but i am at work everyday.I have outside power and I willleave them a jug/tea etc but i dont like the idea of strangers inside my house when i am not there.The work is outside work only. I dont know these blokes from Adam, they are off the internet and i only met one of them once. Call me paranoid but I come from the UK where we dont trust our own neighbours!

cbbuilder, Nov 27, 8:42am
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable request .You were happy with the builders references so no reason to question their work ethic which includes their conduct around your home . Like the previous post hire a port a loo and a generator for them if you really dont trust them or take the time off and stay at home

russ18, Nov 27, 8:45am
You going to leave them some toilet paper outside too!

woodhouse_elect, Nov 27, 9:34am
It is all legit, no carpet cleaners or electricians on site (ala Target) But on a serious note as #11 said if you are happy with their work or references then access should be fine, and you could mention that you may be popping in to see progress if you have time (works for me keeping the workers working)

zak410, Nov 27, 9:55am
What ! no scones !

muffin2, Nov 27, 10:00am
We've had this in the past and we usually leave a window slightly open with a long extension cord hanging out - that way they can still have power and don't need to go in your house.

mokaumoi, Nov 27, 10:36am
Are you seriously are going to deny them access to the bathroom, and the ability to wash their hands and make a cuppa, then arrange with a neighbour to let them usea toilet. It is custom here for them to have access to a bathroom, and simple courtesy to let them use the kitchen and have somewhere to sit to eat their lunch.

cwnda, Nov 27, 11:20am
For about forty years I had free access to peoples' homes as a carpet-layer. I emptied wardrobes, took beds & dressers apart, moved clothing, cleared furniture - generally took apart their homes. Usually put them back together again. Many times I was left alone to do the job but that was all part of the job. We - the tradesmen - were trusted to do the job. I find it rather disturbing that the same doesn't happen these days. Different times - different morals perhaps!

stevo2, Nov 27, 5:08pm
As a builder we've always had access to peoples homes.
Yes you can give them power outside but what happens when the circuit breaker trips and they need to reset it at the distribution board which is inside. It means they either need to phone you to come home or they go home.
You would also need to provide a portable toilet for them.

lythande1, Nov 27, 6:10pm
You've been watching too much Target.
Get over it, 99% of tradesmen are not going to be rummaging in your undies.

t_naki, Nov 27, 6:25pm
IMO a toilet and water for hand washing are a minimum but you could easily email back and ask them if it is ok.

t_naki, Nov 27, 6:27pm
Its people's attitude that have been changed by media beat ups of tradesmen. How long has target been running! They must have run through thousands of tradesmen, those that make the show and those that do not, and how many have they caught out doing dodgy things!

captaingraham, Nov 27, 7:09pm
Are your no. twos a better quality than theirs!

texastwo, Nov 27, 7:34pm
I have had several jobs done at my house by various tradies and while offering them the use of the toilet and a cuppa have generally found that the need wasnt great. Usually they bought there own coffee in a thermos. Do object to the people who want to go off into town to buy lunch and think I am paying for their time to do this.Or the conservatory installers who, though they were given the makings of coffee, went through my pantry looking forchoc biscuits and then left a big mess on my kitchen bench.Didnt even have the courtesy to rinse their coffee cups. Funny part is that they were useless installers as well and the job had to be redone by the supplier.

ksam, Nov 27, 7:44pm
If you're that worried take a couple of days off, asking to be able to use the loo seems a small request

accroul, Nov 27, 7:51pm
My OH is a builder. He doesn't pee on client's trees. He has a lidded bucket in his van for #1, #2 warrants packing up all the tools & going for a drive. Having access to ablution facilities is NEVER taken for granted.