Before i call a builder on monday

lj1961, Oct 5, 1:01am
can anyone please let me know if this is ok? would it likely be legal to remove an old unused door in the laundry as my house has 2 ranchsliders?

annies3, Oct 5, 1:04am
Do you mean an outside door replaced with timber and cladding or window or is it an internal door ?

lj1961, Oct 5, 1:09am
An external door which will be replaced with timber framing and cladding.

daryl14, Oct 5, 1:23am
Fairly sure a dwelling only needs two doors. Might pay to check with a builder.

johotech, Oct 5, 1:37am
Or 1, or 3 if you want.

newtec1, Oct 5, 3:57am
Yes of course it is as long as you have access to two exits[egress]

tweake, Oct 5, 3:57am
depends on the council a bit.
i recall we had it where we where required to have a door per so many meters of wall.
would certainly pay to check and you need consent (i think it is) for any external wall work anyway.

ryanm2, Oct 5, 4:17am
A lot of new apartment blocks only have 1 exit and you dont see fire escapes built anymore outside on new builds.

newtec1, Oct 5, 4:26am
No you don't,only if you increase the size of the lintel do you need consent.

newtec1, Oct 5, 4:29am
Yes apartments have different specs pertaining to escape routes and fire alarms etc.Can get quite involved when you are dealing with public buildings and egress.

tweake, Oct 5, 10:16am
ALL exterior wall work requires consent.
as they are building a new wall it will require consent.
no doubt thanks to leaky homes for that rule.

lissie, Oct 5, 10:40am
Not true - you can replace an existing window or door with a door or a window or with a wall or a mixture e.g. replace a full length window with a smaller window with cladding underneath. - so long as the existing lintel is not extended. You need consent for structural work - doors and window are not structural elements.

underconstructy, Oct 5, 10:47am
No it doesn't. For example you can change a window to a door, without consent as long as your door is the same width and don't touch the lintel.

underconstructy, Oct 5, 10:48am
Yip, what they said.

trade4us2, Oct 6, 1:45am
Why not just screw the door shut? Somebody may want a door there one day!

mm12345, Oct 6, 2:15am
Especially to and from a laundry.
Perhaps if it's internal opening and clogging up laundry space, it could be re-hung for external opening so it's not in the way.

newtec1, Sep 9, 7:14pm
No it doesn't,only if you are increasing the lintel opening.In their case they are only filling in the hole where the door was.