Paying a builder traveling time?

Page 1 / 2
dingo011, Nov 6, 8:58pm
I was wondering what is the general / accepted practice for paying a builder traveling time from his home to the site? This is a four to six month job and everyday Monday to Friday each week. He has suggested that he charges his time from when he leaves his house in the morning to when he gets home at night. The bulder lives 30km north of Wellington and the site is Wellington central so involves peak traffic both ways! I would be interested to know if this is standard practice and if so should different hourly rates apply for on site time to travel time?

tigra, Nov 6, 9:50pm
Find another builder. One who lives close by

budgel, Nov 6, 9:58pm
Find another builder. One who lives close by.

maccachic1, Nov 6, 10:08pm
Construction is going great guns so charges tend to reflect it (esp as its been a lean few years) even if you aren't paying it directly you will prob find its built in to the price anyway. Could tender if there are other companies after work that have good reputations.

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 10:29pm
He should have included this in his construction quote.
He probably drives a diesel anyway.
Is he working dawn to dusk, is he actually any good, and is he fast?
He will have other business to attend to whilst enroute.
Have him camp on site as they do in the central city in Auckland .
Well, a lot of asian subbies do this!

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 10:30pm
The guy is having you on mate.

kiwitrader43, Nov 6, 10:32pm
You have given the guy work. It is up to him how he gets to it, and at his expense.
It is not as if he is on only 27.00 p/hr

kcc55a, Nov 6, 10:32pm
30KM North of Wellington puts them at either Upper hutt or Kapiti. Surely there's a host of builders close by?

nonumbers, Nov 6, 10:33pm
Or - get him to start early - say 7:30am and finish at 3:30pm? Pretty much a licence to print money IMHO . . .

shanreagh, Nov 6, 10:41pm
For a long term job like this I don't think he should be charging at all. I have only been charged travelling time when it is a relatively small job over say a couple of days. Bigger jobs have never had travelling time but granted it may have been included in the all up price.

Trentham is 30k from Wellington and if this is where the builder is coming from then all the more reason to think again. Wellington City is bread and butter work for builders living in Upper Hutt and out to say Pukerua Bay. Their hourly rate should include on road costs etc associated with the business. Builder may have knocked down the hourly rate to get the job. Mind you I have been charged (only once) for the standard items of kit that any builder should have in their truck so watch for this if you do decide to go with this builder.
Think you should rethink the builder in this case.

underconstructy, Nov 6, 11:11pm
Someone please explain why a builder can charge travel. Yet every single other profession can.

dingo011, Nov 6, 11:15pm
x1
I am having a meeting with him later today to discuss his invoice. The traveling charge was never mentioned when he was engaged for the job. We agreed $60.00 an hour labour but I did not inagine I was going to pay for his time in his ute each day! Has invoiced 93 hours for two weeks which includes a four day week ( Labour day ) So 9 days on site in this period. Noise restrictions do affect on site work.

underconstructy, Nov 6, 11:21pm
What does your construction contract state? is it a Master/Certified builder contract, NZIA or NZS3910?

dingo011, Nov 6, 11:46pm
Good point! I will need to get home and have another close read and see if it hidden in there somewhere before the meeting.

underconstructy, Nov 6, 11:50pm
So you didn't read it before you signed it? If its a Master/Certified builders he has every right to charge travel especially if its a charge up contract to. I'm picking its not 3910 or NZIA or else your know.

Oh an $60 an hour is that plus GST? thats great rate for him, not so much for you. Hope there really good.

dingo011, Nov 6, 11:58pm
Of course I read it and had it checked by a Solicitor as well before signing. As I stated previously I have no recollection of discusiing, or reading anything about paid travel time. $60 per hour inclusive. I will re read before this afternoons meeting but I am very confident that it is not mentioned.

captaingraham, Nov 7, 12:47am
A job that size should have a fixed price quote which includes everything. If you did not get a quote, pay up and shut up. you asked for it!

maccachic1, Nov 7, 12:59am
Fixed price can be more expensive as it includes contingencies.

Altho $60 an hour is one of the highest rates Ive seen but this is BoP not Welly.

dingo011, Nov 7, 1:34am
What a pompous twat you are. I don't remember asking for my actions to judged by you at anytime. I was simply asking what the accepted practice regarding charging traveling time. How the site and build is being run is certainly none of your business.

lythande1, Nov 7, 1:46am
haha, really? I'd hire someone else.

franny8, Nov 7, 1:57am
Personally I don't think it is ever a good idea to pay someone an hourly rate, surely you would have obtained a written quote from him prior to giving him the job. A quote should specify the work to be done and the cost of doing it. Obviously there may be unforeseen contingencies and these may need to be addressed further down the track but a quote is a quote and he cannot then change it by adding on travelling time. I would think this is ground to break the contract, give him the boot and start again. Might be easier and cheaper in the long run.

jonners2013, Nov 7, 2:03am
me thinks you don't understand how internet message boards work

golfdiver, Nov 7, 6:29am
I pay one of my contractors $50 per hour when he is on charge up and he makes more than that when he has a contract job. Obviously my business needs to make some profit on top so I don't think that is a bad rate for a tradesman. Yes we are BOP. You pay peanuts you get unqualified monkeys.

stevo2, Nov 7, 7:09am
In Tauranga, a common charge out rate is $50 for a carpenter. Generally no mileage charge and day starts when arriving on site and finishes when driving off site at night time.

don735, Nov 7, 8:20am
dingo this is a commercial job or a bussines of some sort not a private job must be laying out some big $$ for the work to get done, mate deal with the Master/Certified builders not on trademe mb Also that bike you have isnt up to it get a harley bro