11 yr old granddaughter and gardening

omaria, Nov 27, 3:26am
My 11 yr old granddaughter has begun to show an interest in gardening. My husband (her Opa) is making a planterbox for her for a Christmas gift. I want to add gifts like a watering can, some potting mix and some seeds. Which seeds would be most suitable, some that are hardy and grow lovely flowers so she wont get discouraged when the seeds don't produce. Your ideas and suuggestions are very welcome.

trad, Nov 27, 3:34am
stand out for me is Calendula

maddie44, Nov 27, 3:36am
What about vege seeds
some of these would be ok in a decent sized box
http://www.growthis.com/12-fastest-growing-vegetables/

yjeva, Nov 27, 3:45am
Nasturtiums
They grow quickly and easily, look cheerful, and can be used in salads.

nukhelenc, Nov 27, 4:56am
Get her a tetanus injection if she hasn't had it :)

maclad, Nov 27, 5:02am
Look at growing small sized edibles, radishes, baby carrot or coloured veges like purple carrots or beans. There are so so many coloured veges you can grow and kids love to eat them. I grow lots of these for my grandies and they munch them down fresh off the plant with relish, in fact their Mum puts these in their school lunchboxes and kids think they are getting a treat. Well they are, how many kids get to eat fresh straight from the source? Peas are a good option and one or two strawberry plants could go down well.

fantail8, Nov 27, 5:07am
sunflowers - fast growing,impressive
cocktail tomatoes, strawberries - edible that kids can pick them selves and eat

You want things that are quick and colourful or impressive or things that the kids can have fun picking and eating. Kids need the growth to be quick or be able to see the food ripening for eating (they will try and eat some green usually) as means of helping to maintain interest

rainrain1, Nov 27, 5:40am
Poppies, lobelia. sweet peas

rainrain1, Nov 27, 5:41am
Really? Why?

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 27, 5:49am
Google fairy gardens.

nukhelenc, Nov 27, 6:32am
Why not ?
Some will know why, maybe its only old folk who need it, i dunno

omaria, Nov 27, 10:06am
Thanks some lovely ideas. Puzzled about the tetanus shot.

samanya, Nov 27, 10:17am
I'd suggest seeds/plants that she likes to eat, like her faves . simple as that.

tub4, Nov 27, 5:55pm
I'd too go with veggies, imagine her excitement picking her own veggies for tea

lythande1, Nov 27, 6:18pm
I'd ask her.

issymae, Nov 27, 8:10pm
some bulbs to go in later- Daffodil, tulips

omaria, Nov 28, 1:51am
We like to surprise her with it at Christmas :)

hezwez, Nov 28, 2:32am
Good opportunity if you're giving her some potting mix is to show her the correct way to open it, avoiding inhalation, wearing gloves, damping down etc.

daryl14, Nov 28, 6:49am
At bunnings there are packets of seeds aimed at kid gardeners. We got some snow peas I think that grow up a tripod to create a living hut or teepee. This weekends task. Our kids have planted a bed of sun flowers too and some sprouts in water only seedling trays. Fejoa trees are a winner too. Much excitement.

omaria, Jul 19, 10:11am
Excellent advice thank you, I will add gloves to the list :)